If you are looking for a refreshing margarita made with fresh fruit, then you are going to love this Kiwi Mint Margarita! It's made with 7 simple ingredients for a summer cocktail that is minty, fresh, & made with tequila!
A few weeks ago I went on a girls trip to Palm Springs and tried my very first kiwi margarita. It's no secret that margaritas are my favorite cocktail, so I'm not sure why I had never thought to make one with kiwi before. As soon as I came home, I knew I had to turn it into a recipe for you too!
Luckily, this cocktail is super simple to make and, like all my cocktail recipes, it doesn't require any unusual ingredients. When it comes to cocktail hour, my mission is always to keep it as simple as possible while still tasting delicious!
Here are the six easy ingredients you need to make these kiwi tequila cocktails:
- Fresh kiwi, skins removed
- MUST be soft and ripe for the best results. Kiwis that are too hard will be tart and the cocktail won't turn out as sweet!
- Fresh mint leaves
- Silver recommended, I used Milagro
- Fresh lemon juice
- Fresh lime juice
- Agave can be substituted 1:1 for any homemade simple syrup. I don't recommend substituting for maple syrup because it has a pretty distinct flavor.
- I used crushed ice to mix in the pitcher and also filled each glass with a bit more ice.
- Salt or sugar for rim
- This is completely optional to add a sugar/salt rim!
Now you're probably looking at this list and thinking- what about orange liqueur?! It's a typical ingredient found in many margaritas, but personally, I'm not a huge fan. Instead, I always opt for adding that citrus flavor with more lemon and lime juice like I did in my favorite Tequila Smash. However, if you want to add in a liqueur like cointreau, go ahead and experiment with adding it in!
How to make kiwi margaritas:
Just like the ingredients, the steps to make this kiwi fruit cocktail couldn't be more simple!
First, run a lime wedge along the rim of the glasses. Then, dunk each glass into a bowl with salt or a sugar lime zest mix (my personal favorite!). This step is totally optional, but really makes these homemade margaritas look as delicious as they taste! I actually used this same sugar lime rim in my Strawberry Rhubarb Margaritas, but in a different pattern!
Once the glasses are ready, scoop the kiwi out or peel them to remove the skins. Then, add the kiwi, mint, tequila, lemon juice, lime juice, and agave to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. If you don't have a blender, you can also muddle the mixture together, just be aware it will end up chunkier and not as smooth.
Then, fill four glasses with crushed ice and pour the blended mixture on top. You can also add the ice to a pitcher and then pour the kiwi mixed drink on top as I did in the picture below. If you do add it to a pitcher, just make sure you're ready to serve soon so the ice doesn't melt and water down the cocktail!
FAQ & Substitutions:
I personally leave the kiwi seeds in because I find they add a nice crunch and flavor. However, if that's not your jam, just strain them out using a mesh strainer before pouring over the ice. You'll still get all the flavor of this cocktail, but with a smoother juice.
I personally prefer a white/silver tequila over gold when it comes to a fruit filled margarita. For this recipe, I used Milagro.
Of course! These kiwi margaritas would actually make an amazing pitcher cocktail to serve to a large group, so feel free to double or triple the recipe. You can even reduce the recipe to make just one margarita too!
This is likely due to using kiwis that are not ripe. Since we are using a decent amount of lemon juice and lime juice, you really want to make sure the kiwis aren't too tart. Kiwis should be soft and completely ripe for this recipe.
I can't wait for you to try these refreshing & easy Kiwi Mint Margaritas! They are perfect for sunny Summer days and evenings with friends. Enjoy!
Looking for more cocktail recipes with tequila? Check out these SGTO favorites!
- 6 small kiwis (skins removed, if large kiwis reduce to 4 kiwis)
- ½ cup (150 grams) agave
- ½ cup lemon juice (about 3 lemons juiced)
- ¼ cup lime juice (about 3 limes juiced)
- 6 oz silver tequila
- 20 mint leaves (stems removed)
- 4 cups ice (more as needed)
- First, peel the skin off the kiwi and chop them.
- Next, add the chopped kiwi, agave, lemon juice, lime juice, tequila, and mint leaves to a blende and blend together until completely smooth.
- Fill a pitcher or 4 glasses up with ice. Then, pour in the blended kiwi mint margaritas. Stir and serve!
- Tequila can be subbed for any preferred alcohol 1:1. Rum could also be great in this drink!
- Agave can be subbed for simple syrup 1:1.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 margarita
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 7gSugar: 10gProtein: 3g
ShortGirlTallOrder occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although shortgirltallorder.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.