These Vegan Tofu Crumbles aka tofu chorizo are the perfect way to cook tofu so it gets crispy, browned, and so flavorful! These 8-ingredient vegan crumbles are a great addition to nachos, tacos, or in any plant-based dish!
I originally developed the recipe for these tofu meat crumbles when creating my vegan nacho recipe, but loved them so much that I knew they deserved their own blog post!
How to make tofu crumbles:
First press the firm tofu between paper towels or a tofu press to release excess moisture. This is super important to get the crispy texture we are looking for in these crumbles!
Then, add oil to a pan. Once it is hot, crumble the tofu directly into the pan. You could do this with a spatula, but I find it's easiest to do with your hands.
After that add the seasoning and mix together.
Then, cook the tofu beef crumbles for 15-20 minutes until they get super browned and crispy.
Can I bake the tofu crumbles?
Definitely! To do this, add the crumbled firm tofu to a bowl and mix with the seasoning, oil, and soy sauce.
Then, pour them onto a parchment-lined baking tray and bake at 350F for around 30 minutes or until crispy on the outside with chewy centers.
How do I store tofu crumbles?
Tofu crumbles are truly best enjoyed right after making as that's when they are the crispiest. However, you can store them in a closed container in the fridge for 3-4 days and enjoy cold or warmed up.
Ways to use tofu crumbles:
My absolute favorite way to eat this ground tofu is on vegan nachos. However, they also make a great addition as:
- A vegan taco filling. They go especially well mixed into my Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos.
- As a meaty pizza topping.
- In burritos as a vegan chorizo filling.
- In a vegan chili for extra protein (try them in my Butternut Squash Quinoa chili!)
- As a protein topping to salads like my Quinoa Arugula Salad.
- Mixed with tomato sauce for a tofu bolognese.
- As a topping for soups or stews like my Potato Leek Soup.
I truly hope you enjoy these Easy Tofu Crumbles! No matter what you add them to, they are the perfect meaty addition to any vegan dish.
More tofu recipes you will love:
If you loved this recipe, please leave a 5-star review on the recipe card. I always appreciate your feedback and support! You can also follow along on my Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Pinterest, or sign up for our newsletter!
- 14 ounces firm/extra firm tofu
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Remove the tofu from the package and strain. Then, cut in half length-wise and place between sheets of paper towels or a tofu press for 5-10 minutes to remove excess moisture.
- Add the oil to a large pan and turn on the heat. Once the oil is hot, take the pressed tofu and use your hands or a spatula to crumble it into pan. Use the spatula to break up any larger pieces of tofu and stir.
- Add the soy sauce, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, garlic powder, cumin, and onion powder to the pan of tofu. Then, mix to coat.
- Continue cooking the tofu for 15-20 minutes, stirring consistently, until it is browned and crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.
- Remove the tofu crumbles from the heat and serve immediately or add to your favorite recipe. Enjoy!
- While they are truly best right after cooking, tofu crumbles can be stored in a closed container in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can enjoy cold or warmed up.
- To cook the tofu crumbles in the oven, add the crumbled firm tofu to a bowl and mix with the seasoning, oil, and soy sauce. Then, pour them onto a parchment-lined baking tray and bake at 350F for around 30 minutes or until crispy on the outside with chewy centers.
Leave a Reply