Does anyone else agree that the best part of Thanksgiving is all the sides?! Even before I was a vegetarian, I always counted down the days until I could eat my body weight in mashed potatoes, stuffing, roasted vegetables, and pecan pie.
This year, I’m cooking an entirely vegan Thanksgiving for the first time! Luckily, thanks to the wonderfulness that is vegan butter, making homemade mashed potatoes that are VEGAN and CREAMY is super easy too!
Just to make them even better, these mashed potatoes go one step further and add in caramelized onions for the most perfect Vegan Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes!
Thanksgiving here we come: Jump to Recipe
So if you’re wondering how I learned how to make the best mashed potatoes, I have to give 80% of the credit to my boyfriend and the other 20% to sheer trail and error. My boyfriend Jacob is from Denmark where almost every meal has potatoes involved. Needless to say, we’ve made a whole lot of potatoes over the years, soI figured it was time to finally get one of our recipes on the blog just in time for Thanksgiving.
TIPS FOR PERFECT VEGAN MASHED POTATOES
- Peeled potatoes will give you MUCH creamier mashed potatoes. Skins are nutritious and all, but for mashed go skin free.
- The type of potatoes you use really does matter! I use about 75% Russet potatoes and about 25% Yukon potatoes for my perfect mix of Mashed Potatoes. Russet potatoes are starchy potatoes, have a very neutral taste, and absorb the butter perfectly when mashing. However, adding in a few Yukon potatoes adds a little more flavor than just using Russet potatoes.
- Make sure to boil your potatoes in large chunks so they don’t absorb too much water leading to less flavorful and watery mashed potatoes.
- Room temperature/melted butter works best so that the potatoes can fully absorb all the butter. Also make sure to mash the butter and potatoes together while the potatoes are still hot!
- Don’t over-mash your potatoes. Seriously, having chunks is good! If you mash potatoes for too long, they will release too much starch and get a gummy consistency. YUCK. I recommend using a Potato Masher over a blender as well!
- Don’t be afraid to add a lot of salt and pepper. I realize that with mashed potatoes, the ideal salt to potato ratio really varies by person so I didn’t include any definitive amounts. One thing that helps is making sure to boil your potatoes in really salty water as this adds a ton of flavor to the potatoes before you have to salt at the end.
Okay, phew that about covers it! I can’t even wait to pair this with some Vegan Pecan Pie, my Vegan Pumpkin Pie Cinnamon Rolls, and some homemade stuffing this year. Oh and you also definitely want to check out the recipe for my Vegan Cranberry Orange Sweet Buns aka the best way to use up all that cranberry sauce this year. Happy Thanksgiving all!