This is truly the best Vegan Tofu Ricotta recipe you will ever try! It's full of flavor, made with 8 easy ingredients, & actually resembles the texture of a real ricotta cheese while being completely dairy-free!
When I tell you I am OBSESSED with this spinach tofu ricotta, I mean it! While I still eat real cheese occasionally, I am always looking for vegan cheese substitutes that ACTUALLY taste good and mimic the taste and texture of real cheese. Well, this dairy-free ricotta cheese recipe does just that!
Did I mention this homemade ricotta is nut-free, oil-free, & gluten-free too? Here is a quick recap of the ingredients needed for this recipe (full quantities in recipe card):
How to make tofu ricotta
The first step is to press the tofu. While some moisture is good, I like to press my tofu for about 5 minutes to get out excess water.
After that, just add everything to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. It really is that easy!
FAQ & Expert Tips
Yes! I actually find this substitute works great as a 1:1 replacement in many savory dishes calling for ricotta cheese like lasagna, cannelloni, pizza, or stuffed shells. It also can be a great salad topping as raw tofu is totally fine to eat without extra cooking time.
This specific recipe is really meant for savory food. However, if you want to adapt to a dessert recipe I'd recommend just blending together the tofu and lemon juice from this recipe. Then, mix in powdered sugar until the dairy-free ricotta reaches your desired sweetness. Doing this makes it a great substitute for vegan cannolis!
Leftover tofu ricotta can be stored in a closed container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
I really do recommend storing in the fridge and eating within 5 days, but it can be stored in the freezer in a closed container up to 1 month. Just keep in mind, when it defrosts it will have a slightly different texture and may not be as creamy and smooth.
Honestly, not really. Nutritional Yeast gives this recipe a cheesy flavor and it's a really unique ingredient flavor-wise. If you can't find it you can just omit it from the recipe.
Tofu ricotta recipe suggestions:
Here are a few of my absolute favorite recipes to use this vegan ricotta in:
- Vegan Puttanesca Lasagna
- Vegan Stuffed Shells
- Vegan Lentil Baked Ziti
- Vegan Garlic Herb Pizza Dough. Make this homemade dough and use this dairy free ricotta in place of cheese!
- Southwest Tofu Scramble (great if you want cheese mixed in!)
- And...I honestly love it as a base for avocado toast. So yummy!
I hope you all enjoy this Vegan Tofu Ricotta! Definitely let me know if you have any more recipe requests on ways to use this delicious vegan cheese. Enjoy!
If you loved this recipe, please leave a 5-star review on the recipe card. I always appreciate your feedback and support! You can also follow along on my Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Pinterest or sign up for our newsletter!
Vegan Tofu Ricotta
- 16 oz firm tofu must be firm, silken tofu will not work
- 1 cup fresh spinach packed
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup fresh parsley can sub 1:1 for fresh basil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice about 1 lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt use less if desired
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1-2 tablespoon water/oat milk optional- for a thinner ricotta
- First, cut the tofu in half and press between towels for about 5 minutes to get rid of any excess water.
- Next, add all of the ingredients including the firm tofu, spinach, nutritional yeast, parsley, lemon juice, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and salt to a blender and blend until smooth.
- If needed, add in 1-2 Tbsp oat milk to thin out the ricotta and make it spreadable. Enjoy immediately or use in your favorite dish!