The recipe I've been wanting to create for this blog since I started is FINALLY here. Praise be for the best dessert offered to mankind- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake! This isn't just any ordinary vegan cookie cake recipe. This is the most delicious and soft vegan chocolate chip cookie baked like a cake, topped with naturally colored vegan frosting, and sprinkled with rainbow confetti sprinkles. Life is too short not to have your cake and make it colorful too!
My Birthday cake requirement
Before I dive into some tips & tricks for this cookie cake recipe, I owe you more on the back story behind my love for cookie cake. Truth is, this obsession goes back way back to when I first discovered Wegman's cookie cake as a child.
Being born on July 6th, my birthday has pretty much always been overshadowed by July 4th celebrations. I'd be lying if I said it didn't bother me when I was younger, but as time went on I made a pact with myself that I knew would always lead to a happy birthday. As long as I had a birthday cookie cake covered in frosting and people to share it with, that would always be the perfect celebration for me!
How to make the best vegan cookie cake
As you can imagine, I can't eat Wegman's cookie cake anymore, so I had to create my own dairy-free & eggless cookie cake to celebrate this year! This chocolate chip cookie cake is really just a large soft cookie baked like a cookie cake pizza! Here are the tools and ingredients you need to make this recipe:
First, Use a Springform Pan:
For this recipe, I used a 9" Springform pan. You could probably get away baking in a cast-iron skillet or even using a 10" pan and reducing the baking time by a few minutes if you don't have a springform pan on hand. I really like using a springform pan for this recipe because it's easy to remove the outside of the pan, frost the cake, and easily slice it.
Second, Assemble Your Cookie Cake Ingredients:
Some good vegan butter (Earth Balance or Miyoko's are my favorites), vegan chocolate chips, organic sugar, organic brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, all-purpose flour, ground flaxseed, almond milk, and vanilla bean paste or extract are all you need.
From there, just cream the butter and sugar together, add in the vanilla and almond milk, and stir in the dry ingredients until a thick vegan chocolate chip cookie dough forms!
After that, you'll press the cookie dough into the pan and bake it for 26-28 minutes until browned on the outside and soft on the inside.
Lastly, Make The Vegan Vanilla Buttercream & Add Sprinkles!
I first perfected my vegan buttercream recipe when I made these Vegan Lemon Olive Oil Cupcakes.
To make this cookie cake frosting, I used that base recipe but took half of my frosting and turned it a pretty purple-pink color! To decorate this cookie cake, I mixed in freeze-dried dragonfruit pitaya powder to ⅓ of the frosting for a naturally died frosting!
After putting a thin layer of white frosting over the entire cake, I added the pink and white frosting to opposite sides of a piping bag and piped a super fun frosted edge. You can definitely add as much or as little frosting as you want to this Birthday cake cookie, but I tend to go on the side of frosting the whole cake!
As the last step- just add sprinkles!
If you're never experienced the pure unadulterated joy of eating a birthday cookie cake- let this recipe change your mind! I may have single-handedly eaten half this Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake myself this year and I don't regret a single bite. Enjoy!
If you're looking for other Vegan Birthday Dessert Ideas, Check out these recipes:
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup cold vegan butter
- ¼ cup organic white sugar ( )
- ½ cup organic brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 Tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste/extract
- ½-3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips (*more or less depending on preference)
- ½ cup cold vegan butter
- ⅓ cup vegan shortening
- ½ Tbsp coconut cream (*optional- just the cream, not milk)
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste/extract
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp pitaya powder (*optional, to make ⅓ of the frosting pink)
- 2 Tbsp rainbow sprinkles
First, Make the Cookie Dough
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Then, add the all-purpose flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder to a large mixing bowl and sift together. Set aside the bowl.
- Add the cold vegan butter and sugar to a standing mixing bowl. Whip together until creamed for about 5 minutes. Then, add in the flaxseed, almond milk, and vanilla bean paste/extract to the bowl and mix to combine.
- Next, add the bowl of dry ingredients to the standing mixer and mix together until a dough forms. As a final step, add in the chocolate chips and mix by hand to combine.
Bake the Cookie Cake!
- Add the dough to a greased 9" springform pan and use a spatula or your hands to press the dough flat. Add to the oven and bake for 26-28 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before frosting.
Once Cooled, Make the Frosting
- Begin by adding your vegan butter, shortening, vanilla bean paste/extract, and coconut cream to a large mixing bowl and whip to combine. Once whipped, slowly add in your powdered sugar ½ cup at a time and whip until a smooth frosting has formed.
- Take the frosting out of the mixing bowl and add ⅔ of the frosting to one bowl and ⅓ of the frosting to another. In the bowl with ⅓ cup frosting, mix in the pitaya powder.
- Cover the cookie cake with a thin layer of the white frosting. Then, add the remaining white frosting and pink frosting to opposite sides of a piping bag and pipe along the outer edge of the cake. As a final step, sprinkle the 2 Tbsp of rainbow sprinkles on top. Cut into 8 slices and enjoy!
*Cake will keep the the fridge up to 1 week. Cake can be frozen up to 1 month, just let the cake defrost at room temperature for 1 hour before eating.
*This cookie cake comes out soft and chewy. For a crispier cookie cake, replace the brown sugar 1:1 with white sugar
*For a chewier cookie cake, substitute the all-purpose flour 1:1 with bread flour
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 519Total Fat: 33.4gCarbohydrates: 53.6gFiber: .9gSugar: 38gProtein: 2.4g