To celebrate SGTO's 1 year anniversary I'm sharing the BEST Vegan Funfetti Cinnamon Rolls smothered in the absolute best coconut whipped cream frosting. Plus, you know I had to cover these sprinkle-filled cinnamon rolls in, you guessed it, more rainbow sprinkles!
The most important thing I learned this year is that magic happens when you step outside your comfort zone.
One of my favorite challenges this year was learning to bake with yeast. This year I've created some epic bun recipes including Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls, Vegan Carrot Cake Buns, Vegan Cranberry Orange Sticky Buns, and even savory Vegan Pizza Buns!
Before blogging I had never dared to touch yeast dough and now it is my favorite type of baking to do. I knew it was only appropriate I celebrate this monumental day with these ooey-gooey sprinkle filledFUNFETTI CINNAMON ROLLS!
How to make the best funfetti cinnamon rolls
If you came here for a healthy recipe today, walk away now. However, if you're here for a decadent treat, you are in the right place.
These buns start with a funfetti dough that is then filled with more sugar, butter, cinnamon & sprinkles for a dairy-free & eggless treat. Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you need to make these cinnamon rolls:
Make the funfetti cinnamon roll dough
The first step to making any vegan cinnamon roll is to make and knead the dough. Start by adding the yeast, almond milk, and sugar to a large bowl and letting the yeast sit for 5-10 minutes to make sure it is activated.
Then, gently mix in the melted butter, lemon juice, and vanilla. After that gradually add in the flour and salt until a thick dough forms. After that, knead the dough until it is nice and elastic.
I prefer using a standing mixer with a bread hook to knead bread, however, you can knead any dough by hand. If kneading by hand, mix the dough in a bowl to form a thick dough, then remove and knead by hand.
The dough is ready when it is stretchy, no longer sticking to the sides of the bowl, and when the dough does not break apart easily when stretched.
Next, let the vegan dough rise for the first time
For the best flavor, let the dough rise covered in a warm place. Make sure to oil the bowl before you add the dough and cover the dough to avoid it drying out. The rainbow cinnamon roll dough has proofed when it no longer springs back into place after you press into it.
Add filling & roll the dough
After the first rise, roll the vegan cinnamon roll dough into a rectangle that is ¼-1/2 inch thick in height.
Then, fill with the cinnamon sugar filling. To do this add the cold butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon to a food processor until well mixed and thick. This step can also be done by hand, though it is a bit more work.
After that, add in the rainbow sprinkles and mix them by hand into the cinnamon roll filling. Spread the filling out across the dough rectangle leaving a thin border along the outside.
To finish roll the dough into a log and then cut into 10 even slices.
Rise number two & baking
Place the sliced cinnamon rolls into the baking pan (I used an 11-inch skillet). If you want to enjoy the funfetti buns for breakfast, cover the skillet with plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge overnight for 8-12 hours before baking.
If you want to enjoy the rainbow cinnamon rolls the same day, cover them and let them rise for at least 30 minutes- 1 hour in a warm place before baking.
Once the second rise has finished, preheat the oven to 350F and bake those buns for 35-40 minutes until cooked through.
How to make vegan coconut cream frosting
To make these funfetti cinnamon rolls even better, I topped them with my favorite coconut cream frosting and, you guessed it, more sprinkles!
To make coconut cream frosting you only need these ingredients:
- Coconut cream (not the milk, just the cream)
- Vanilla bean paste/extract
- Organic powdered sugar
The really important part about making this frosting is to use ONLY the thick coconut cream (not the watery coconut milk). Also, make sure to sift the powdered sugar before adding it to the coconut cream so that no large chunks form.
I hope you love these Vegan Funfetti Cinnamon Rolls as much as I do. Here's to many more years of blogging, connecting with you amazing people, and lots more sprinkles in all of our lives. Cheers!
More funfetti vegan dessert recipes you will love:
If you loved this recipe, please leave a 5-star review on the recipe card. I always appreciate your feedback and support! You can also follow along on my Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Pinterest or sign up for our newsletter!
Vegan Funfetti Cinnamon Rolls
Sprinkle Bread Dough
Cinnamon Roll Filling
- ¼ cup cold butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles
Coconut Cream Frosting
- 1 cup refrigerated coconut cream *just the cream, not milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- ½ cup organic powdered sugar
- ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles *additional for topping
Making the Dough
- First, add your warmed almond milk, yeast, and sugar to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Let sit 5-10 minutes until bubbles form so you are sure the yeast is active and working.
- Next, add the melted butter, vanilla, and lemon juice and stir to combine. Then, begin to slowly add in the flour and salt, kneading as you go. Once all the flour is added and mixed in, use a standing mixer to knead the dough for 5 minutes or take the dough from your bowl and knead by hand for 10 minutes. Once the dough is elastic, add the sprinkles and gently knead them into the dough.
- Lightly spray a large bowl with oil, form your dough into a ball, and add to the bowl. Make sure to rub the top of the dough with oil so it does not dry out. Cover the bowl and let the dough rise for 1-1.5 hours until the dough has doubled in size. You will know the dough is done when you can push your finger into the dough and the dough does not spring back.
Roll, Fill, & Cut the Dough
- Once your dough has doubled in size, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. You will need to flour the rolling pin too or else the dough will stick. Roll the dough into a rectangle that is ¼-1/2 inch thick in height.
- After the dough is rolled out, make the cinnamon sugar filling by adding the cold vegan butter, sugar, and cinnamon to a food processor and pusling until mixed. Then add the rainbow sprinkles and mix into the filling. Spread the filling on top of the dough rectangle making sure to leave a ¼ inch border without filling.
- Beginning with the longer side of the rectangle, tightly roll up the dough into a log. Lightly flour the dough as you go to help if it gets a bit sticky. Make sure to seal the roll by pinching the edges together. Then, flip the dough over so the pinched seal is facing down.
- Once the dough is rolled, trim the ends and discard. Cut the remaining dough into 10 evenly sized rolls. Place into an 11-inch skillet or cake pan and cover. Leave in the fridge overnight (6-12 hours) or in a warm place for 30 minutes-1 hour before baking.
Baking the Buns
- After the second rise, preheat the oven to 350F. Once the oven is preheated, bake the buns for 35-40 minutes until cooked through. Remove the buns from the oven and let cool completely before frosting,
Making the Coconut Cream Frosting
- Add the refrigerated coconut cream, vanilla bean paste/extract, and powdered sugar to a standing mixer or large bowl. Whip until a light and fluffy frosting has formed. Top your cooled funfetti buns with the frosting, additional sprinkles, and enjoy!
- Cinnamon Rolls will store in a closed container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Do not frost before storing or the dough will become soggy.
- Unfrosted cinnamon rolls can be stored in the freezer in a closed container for up to 1 month. To reheat, microwave or reheat in the oven at 200F for 15 minutes or until warm throughout.