Looking for a warming, comforting, and healthy vegan curry that is also packed with 19 grams of protein per serving? Then this Vegan Thai Basil Tofu Coconut Curry with Avocado is perfect & even includes a recipe for a homemade basil curry spice. Get ready for the coziest vegan coconut curry filled with chickpeas, tofu, avocado, and loads of curry spices!
How to make a Thai basil tofu curry
Make the Thai basil spice blend
To make this basil curry spice at home all you need are a few dried spices including turmeric, ginger, basil, cumin, coriander, salt.
Also, I like also like to add a little bit of red chili pepper flakes for some heat. Once you've gathered all your spices, simply mix them together in a small bowl and set them aside.
Pan fry tofu and chickpeas
Can I tell you a secret? Making curry in a wok will literally CHANGE your life. I love my BergHOFF cast iron wok and highly recommend it if you make curries or stir-fries at home a lot. It's the same wok I used for my favorite Vegan Black Pepper Tofu & I even used it to create the lemon butter sauce in my Vegan Lemon Pasta recipe. Seriously, this wok is so versatile and it helps get the tofu and chickpeas really crispy by distributing high heat very effectively.
To pan-fry the tofu and chickpeas, start by heating the oil in the pan. Next, you'll cook the tofu and chickpeas until they start to brown on both sides- about 10 minutes.
Once crispy, add in the nutritional yeast, salt, and garlic powder to add some flavor. Then, cook everything for an additional 2 minutes. To finish, remove the tofu and chickpeas from the wok and set them aside in a separate bowl.
What Tofu works best in curry recipes?
Make sure to use FIRM tofu for this recipe or it will fall apart and not get crispy before stir-frying. Also, for the crispiest tofu, press your tofu between two towels to get rid of any excess moisture before cooking it.
Make the coconut curry sauce with vegetables
Now that the tofu and chickpeas are cooked, it's time to cook the sauce and vegetables.
First, add additional oil and the basil curry spices to the hot wok and mix for about 1 minute. Then, add in the onions and peppers and cook for a few minutes. While I left my onions and peppers in slices, feel free to chop them into smaller pieces if you prefer having them bite-size. Also, don't cook the peppers and onions too long as you still want them a tiny bit crunchy!
Then, add in the coconut milk and lime juice. Using full-fat coconut milk truly makes this tofu coconut curry so creamy.
To finish, add in the cooked tofu and chickpeas. At this point, all the ingredients should be in so it's time to simmer everything together for 5 minutes before serving.
Add tofu curry toppings
Last but not least, spoon the vegan basil coconut curry onto some white rice and then get ready to add all the fun toppings!
If you've ever wondered how to top your vegan coconut curry- here are some tips.
Avocado goes AMAZINGLY well with a basil curry sauce. Also, make sure to add plenty of fresh Thai basil. If you are feeling brave, add some jalapenos to turn this mild Thai basil curry into a spicier dish.
This Vegan Thai Basil Tofu Coconut Curry is filling, comforting, gluten-free, and full of delicious healthy fats! In addition to being delicious, this recipe also comes protein-packed with Tofu & chickpeas so it will leave you full and satisfied. Enjoy!
More vegan weeknight dinner recipes you will love:
Loved this recipe? Then don't forget to leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and a review. I always appreciate your feedback! Stay in touch with me on Instagram, Facebook, Tiktok, and Pinterest, or sign up for our newsletter so you never miss another recipe!
Vegan Thai Basil Coconut Curry with Avocado
Basil Curry Spice Mix
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried ginger
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes optional-more if you would like a spicier curry
Pan Fried Tofu & Chickpeas
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 large onion
- 14 ounces can coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- ½ Tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1 large avocado sliced (or 2 small)
- First mix all the basil coconut curry spices together and set aside.
- Next,pan fry the tofu and chickpeas. Add 1 tbsp of oil to wok. Once heated, add in your cubed tofu and chickpeas. Fry until sides of tofu and chickpeas begin to brown, stirring occasionally while cooking. Add in nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and salt and cook an additional 2 minutes until tofu and chickpeas are evenly coated. Remove from wok and set aside.
- In the now empty wok, add in ½ tbsp avocado oil. Once heated, add in your spice mix. Fry for 1 minute. Next, add in the sliced onions and peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in the coconut milk and lime juice to the pepper and onion mix, stir, and cook 5 minutes. Next add in the tofu and chickpea mixture, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving to help the curry sauce thicken.
- Pour your basil curry on top of the rice. Top with diced avocado and fresh Thai basil. Enjoy!
- Curry will store in the fridge for 3-5 days in a closed container (without any avocado or fresh basil added as toppings). Only add the avocado & fresh basil when you are ready to eat the coconut curry!
- Curry can be stored in the freezer up to 1 month in a closed container (again, without avocado or fresh basil added)