This Sun-Dried Tomato & Artichoke Pasta aka my Vegan Pantry Pasta is an easy dinner recipe to whip up in 30 minutes or less! With sun-dried tomatoes, marinated artichoke hearts, capers, olives, garlic, & shallots- it's truly a flavorful pasta made with pantry staples.
The idea for this recipe really came to me from wanting a dish similar to puttanesca without all the tomato sauce. Enter in... the most delicious & light pasta made with so many incredible pantry staples!
Ingredient & substitution notes:
- Pasta: I highly recommend making this dish with some sort of bucatini as the shape works really well to soak up the flavors!
- To make this dish gluten-free just substitute in GF pasta noodles.
- Shallot: Can be substituted for ¼ of a white onion, finely diced.
- Marinated Artichokes: There isn't a good substitute here since they are such a crucial component of this pasta. However, you could try using canned hearts of palms instead for a similar flavor.
- Hearts of palm usually do not come marinated, so you may need more salt & pepper if choosing this option.
- Sundried Tomatoes: There isn't a substitute for this ingredient as it gives this dish so much flavor and we also use the flavored oil from the can.
- Capers: If you do not like them, feel free to omit them completely.
- Green Olives: Again, if you do not like them, feel free to omit them. Just keep in mind it will reduce the overall flavor of the pasta.
How to make vegan pantry pasta
Cook the pasta & prep veggies
First, cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Just make sure to save ½ cup of pasta water before straining to add to the dish later!
While the pasta is cooking, you should also prep the ingredients. This includes dicing the shallot, mincing the garlic, and dicing the artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, and green olives.
Saute artichokes & shallot
Pour the oil from the can of sun-dried tomatoes into a pan. Once hot, add in the shallots and artichoke hearts and saute together for about 3 minutes.
Add in remaining veggies
Next, add in the sun-dried tomatoes, minced garlic, green olives, and spices. Saute all the veggies together for another 3 minutes.
Add in pasta & pasta water
As a final step pour in the reserved pasta water and cooked pasta noodles. Turn off the heat and mix everything together.
Serve with parsley & vegan parmesan
While you can serve this pantry pasta as is, I like to serve it with fresh parsley, vegan parmesan, or toasted pine nuts on top!
FAQ & Tips:
Can I make this dish gluten-free?
Definitely! All you have to do is swap out the noodles as the remaining ingredients are already naturally gluten-free.
How do I store this vegan pantry pasta?
This sun-dried tomato & artichoke pasta can be stored in a closed container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Just reheat fully in the microwave or in a shallow pan on the stove before enjoying!
I can't wait for you to try this delicious Vegan Sundried Tomato & Artichoke Pasta! It's full of delicious briny flavors and easy to whip up in just 30 minutes. Enjoy!
More vegan pasta recipes you will love:
If you loved this recipe, please leave a 5-star review on the recipe card. I always appreciate your feedback and support! You can also follow along on my Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Pinterest, or sign up for our newsletter!
Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato & Artichoke Pasta
- 8 ounces dried bucatini pasta cooked according to package instructions
- ½ cup pasta water reserved before straining pasta
- 2 Tablespoons sun-dried tomato oil or olive oil
- 12 ounces canned artichoke hearts strained and diced, about 1 ½ cups
- 1 medium shallot diced
- 2.5 ounces sun-dried tomatoes in oil diced
- ¼ cup pitted green olives sliced
- 1 Tablespoon capers
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- salt & pepper to taste add as desired
- ½ cup vegan parmesan
- fresh parsley
Cooking pasta & prepping veggies:
- First, boil water and cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Make sure to reserve ½ cup of starchy pasta water for later before straining.
- While the pasta is cooking, prep the veggies. Stain and dice the artichoke hearts, dice the shallot, dice the sun-dried tomatoes, slice the green olives, and mince the garlic.
Make the pasta:
- Once the pasta is cooked, strain and set aside. Then add 2 Tablespoons of sun-dried tomato oil to a pan and turn on the heat.
- Add the artichoke hearts and diced shallot to the pan of hot oil and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Then, add in the sun-dried tomatoes, olives, capers, minced garlic, chili flakes, salt, & pepper. Stir together and sauté for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the pasta water and cooked bucatini pasta to the pan. Turn off the heat and cook with the veggies another 1-2 minutes. Season with additional salt & pepper as desired.
- Serve as is or top with vegan parmesan and fresh parsley. Enjoy!
- This sun-dried tomato & artichoke pasta can be stored in a closed container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.