It’s finally Summer which means it’s time to start eating copious amounts of fruit and lots of this Healthy, Gluten-Free, & Vegan Nectarine Blueberry Crisp! As much as I like eating fruit fresh, I still find myself looking for fun ways to bake fruit into fun treats this time of year. If you’re like me and looking for a good excuse to bake some fruit but still keep it relatively healthy, then this crisp is the perfect treat for you!
A Healthy & Vegan Nectarine Blueberry Crisp for Breakfast!
The reason I decided to make this into a healthier crisp was mainly that I was looking for an interesting way to change up my breakfast. I pretty much alternate between eating yogurt with granola, smoothie bowls, or a smoothie on the go every morning. Now don’t get me wrong, all three of these are my go-to’s, but lately, I’ve gotten bored of them.
So I thought “How can I make an interesting and seasonal breakfast that won’t weigh me down and will actually make me full? Out came this perfect crisp with stone fruit and berries!
How to Make a Healthier Fruit Crisp
This crisp features healthy ingredients like gluten-free rolled oats, coconut oil, almond flour, and pecans. The addition of nuts and whole grains to this crisp makes it super filling so it can hold you over until lunch.
What sweetener do I use in this Healthy Vegan Crisp?
For the sweetener, I used coconut sugar. Coconut sugar contains slightly more nutrients than other sugars and keeps this crisp refined sugar-free, but do keep in mind it still has the same calories as white sugar.
When I make this for breakfast, I limit the amount of sugar in this dish to 1/4 cup which over 6 servings doesn’t end up feeling like too much. However, if I’m trying to make this as a sweeter dessert and topping the crisp with ice cream anyways, I do bump up the sugar to 1/2 cup. Either way, this healthier fruit crisp tastes great!
The Secret Ingredient to Any Great Crisp: Cornstarch!
The last essential ingredient in this crisp is actually cornstarch!
This acts as a thickener that makes the fruit in the crisp really jammy and delicious. I have read from many other blogs that tapioca starch can be used as a substitute for cornstarch, though I personally haven’t tried it yet.
A Delicious Gluten-Free & Vegan Nectarine Blueberry Crisp!
Now go off and make some summer crisp! This Healthier Vegan Nectarine Blueberry Crisp is my version of an ideal crisp, so I hope you love it as much as I do. At the end of the day, never be afraid to experiment, adjust things, and of course to tell me about it so I can try it too. I seriously love hearing from all of you whenever you try a recipe of mine, so I hope to hear all about your crisp baking adventures!
Looking for more Healthy, Vegan, & GF Recipes? Check out these SGTO Favorites!Print
A Fruit crisp that is healthy, vegan, gluten-free, AND refined sugar-free? I would say this Nectarine Blueberry Crisp is too good to be true, but it’s just plain delicious!
- 3 cups sliced nectarines (cut into 1/2 inch slices, with pits removed equals about 3–4 medium nectarines)
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1.5 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (solid at room temperature)
- 1/4–1/2 cup coconut sugar (for a sweeter crisp, use 1/2 cup)
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 Tbsp almond milk (or other dairy free milk )
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- In a 8*8 square baking dish, add in all your fruit filling ingredients except the blueberries. Use your hands to mix until the nectarines are evenly coated with the sugar, cinnamon, and cornstarch. Top with a layer of blueberries.
- Add all of the crisp topping ingredients except the pecans to a blender. Blend about 1 minute until combined into large chunks, scraping down the sides as need be.
- Remove the crisp topping from the blender and sprinkle in large chunks on top of the blueberries. As a final layer, top with the chopped pecans.
- Add the crisp to the oven and bake for 48-55 minutes until the crisp topping is beginning to brown and the sides are bubbling. Remove from the oven, let cool, and enjoy!
Keywords: nectarine blueberry crisp, vegan fruit crisp, crisp with cornstarch, healthy vegan crisp, healthy blueberry crisp, nectarine desserts, nectarine recipes, vegan blueberry desserts, vegan breakfast recipes