Are you ready for the most refreshing bourbon cocktail?! Well then, let me introduce you to this Apple Thyme Bourbon Smash. The steps are simple- first make an Autumn Glory apple & thyme simple syrup and muddle it to create a delicious syrup .Then, combine with bourbon, fresh lemon juice, and top with ice & soda water for an apple cocktail full of flavor!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Superfresh Growers. The opinions and text are all my own. Thank you so much!
What do Autumn Glory Apples taste like?
If you’ve never had an Autumn Glory apple before they are super sweet, incredibly crisp, and have subtle notes of cinnamon and caramel. I’m SUPER picky about what apples I like which is why I was excited to discover this variety by Superfresh Growers that is SO CRISP.
I also love that they are locally grown near Seattle in the Central Washington Yakima Valley and are in season between November and June. As many of you know, eating local is a huge priority for me here at SGTO and I feel incredibly lucky to have access to these delicious apples that are grown just a few hours from my home.
When I first tasted Superfresh Growers Autumn Glory Apples I knew that they would go perfectly in an apple bourbon cocktail. Since they are so crisp and perfectly sweet, these apples caramelize well and release a delicious apple flavor when cooked. Add in some thyme, lemon, and bourbon and you have the perfect cozy and fresh summer cocktail!
How to make an apple thyme simple syrup
The first step to making this recipe is to make the apple simple syrup. It’s the only step in this recipe that takes a little bit of time, but it’s actually incredibly simple! I first made a simple syrup with real fruit it in with my Pear Vanilla Gin Fizz so this recipe has some similar steps if you’ve tried that cocktail.
Not to mention, there’s only 4 ingredients needed for the simple syrup:
- Chopped Autumn Glory Apples
- Organic Sugar
- Dried Thyme Sprigs
First up, chop the Autumn Glory apples into bite size pieces.
Then, add the apples to a pan along with dried thyme sprigs, sugar and water.
After that, bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 10-15 minutes. You will know the simple syrup is ready when the liquid has begun to turn a light brown and caramelize and the apples are beginning to soften (see pictures below for reference).
At this point, I prefer to add the simple syrup to a container and let it sit in the fridge for an hour or two for the most apple flavor. However, if you don’t want to wait that long just make sure the simple syrup has cooled completely before using it.
Steps to make a cocktail
Now that the thyme simple syrup has cooled, add it to a cocktail shaker and muddle it. Then, fill the cocktail shaker with ice and shake it to chill the syrup. I like to add in ice to my glasses first and then pour in about 3 oz of the simple syrup per cocktail.
Once the syrup is in, add in 1.5 oz bourbon per cocktail. It’s also worth mentioning that this cocktail also works as an apple whiskey smash- just replace the bourbon 1:1 for whiskey!
Then, add in about 1 oz of freshly squeezed lemon juice for the perfect tang.
Finally, top each apple bourbon smash with soda water. I used lemon soda water, but unflavored also works. Stir it all together to combine all the flavors of this cocktail.
I like to garnish my cocktails with additional apple slices (they taste amazing after they’ve been sitting in the alcohol for a bit!) and a sprig of dried thyme. This way, every bourbon smash not only tastes great, but it looks great too!
I truly hope you enjoy this refreshing Apple Bourbon Thyme Smash made with Superfresh Growers Autumn Glory Apples! It’s the perfect mix of sweet apple flavor, earthy thyme, fresh lemon, and caramel bourbon. Enjoy!
Looking for more cocktail recipes? Check out these SGTO favorites!
Apple Thyme Simple Syrup (Makes enough for 2-3 cocktails)
- 1 cup diced Autumn Glory apples (160 grams, any sweet apple variety can be subbed 1:1)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 4 sprigs dried thyme
For one cocktail:
- 3 oz apple thyme simple syrup (made above)
- 1.5 oz bourbon
- 1 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 oz soda water (lemon or unflavored works)
- 3 apple slices (optional, as garnish)
- 1-2 sprigs dried thyme (optional, as garnish)
- First, make the apple thyme simple syrup. Add the diced apples, water, sugar, and dried thyme to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook together for 10-15 minutes, stirring continuously. The syrup is ready when the liquid has begun to turn a very light brown and caramelize and the apples are beginning to soften.
- Remove the simple syrup from the heat and add to a container to cool completely before using. I recommend storing the simple syrup in the fridge for 1-2 hours for the best flavor, but this is optional.
- Once the syrup has cooled, add it to a cocktail shaker and muddle the apples until all the juice has been released. Then, fill the cocktail shaker with ice and shake vigorously to chill.
- To make one cocktail, fill up a cocktail glass with 2-3 large ice cubes. Then, add in 3 oz apple thyme simple syrup, 1.5 oz bourbon, 1 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice, and top with 3 oz soda water. Stir together and then garnish with fresh apple slices and dried thyme. Serve and enjoy!
- Extra apple thyme simple syrup can be stored in the fridge in a closed container for 3-4 days to be used in cocktails
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 cocktail
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 376Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
ShortGirlTallOrder occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although shortgirltallorder.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.