There is something SO comforting about a bowl of gnocchi covered in a creamy tomato sauce! If you agree, then this Vegan Gnocchi Tomato Cream Sauce is the perfect recipe for you. This sauce recipe is so creamy, easy, and only requires six ingredients for the perfect weeknight dinner recipe. Plus, it uses my absolute favorite canned tomatoes- Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes- so you can enjoy this recipe all season long!
How to Make the Best Gnocchi Tomato Cream Sauce
Making this creamy vegan tomato sauce is so easy too. With only 4 simple steps and 7 ingredients, this recipe can be made in 15 minutes or less!
Step 1: Cook the Vegan Gnocchi & Add to a Skillet
For this recipe, you can use store-bought gnocchi or follow my easy recipe for easy homemade vegan gnocchi If you choose to buy store-bought gnocchi, Gia Russa or Delallo are my preferred vegan gnocchi brands.
Whichever you choose, I prefer to boil the gnocchi for this recipe (vs baking or panfrying). Gnocchi is super easy to cook because it literally takes 2-3 minutes using this method.
Simply boil water, add in the gnocchi, and cook until the gnocchi rises to the top of the pot. Then, use a slotted spoon to remove and strain the gnocchi and add it to a cast-iron skillet to be mixed with the sauce.
If you are unable to find gnocchi, this sauce recipe also works with any pasta! Just swap in 4-5 cups of your favorite pasta noodles.
Step 2: Blend the Gnocchi Tomato Cream Sauce Ingredients
This step couldn’t be easier! In order to get the smooth and creamy gnocchi tomato sauce you see in these pictures, you’re going to need a good blender.
Simply add the canned Muir Glen tomatoes, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, garlic powder, red chili flakes, and soy/oat milk to a blender. Next, blend until smooth. Then add the vegan tomato sauce to the cast iron skillet with the gnocchi.
Step 3: Cook the Vegan Gnocchi & Tomato Cream Sauce
Now that both the gnocchi and tomato cream sauce are in the skillet, turn on the heat and cook for about 5 minutes. This step helps to thicken the vegan tomato sauce and makes it nice and hot. Since the Muir Glen tomatoes are already roasted to perfection, not too much cooking time is needed to get an amazing flavor in this sauce.
P.S- I also LOVE making this recipe with my favorite Homemade Vegan Pesto mixed in!
Step 4: Top with Basil & Serve the Vegan Gnocchi
Now that the gnocchi sauce is hot, top with basil, some vegan parmesan cheese, and serve! This meal easily serves 2-3 people as a main dish. However, it can easily be doubled if you are looking to serve a larger crowd or save more for leftovers.
To store as leftovers, let the gnocchi cool to room temperature and store it in a closed container. The gnocchi cream sauce will keep in the fridge for 2-4 days and in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Why use Muir Glen Tomatoes in this vegan tomato sauce?
I love cooking with Muir Glen because of their high-quality tomatoes, superior taste, and because they are organic and farm sustainably. If you’re been reading this blog for a while now, then you know these are all principles I try to uphold in every recipe I create!
To make things even easier, Muir Glen has partnered with many local co-ops to offer some pretty amazing deals on their tomato products!
From January 22nd, 2020 to February 4th, 2020 all 14 oz cans of Muir Glen tomatoes will be 10 for $10 at your local co-op. If you’re not sure where your closest co-op is, you can check out this local co-op store locator. For my Seattle friends- I always choose to shop at the Central co-op!
P.S- If you’re looking for another recipe to make with Muir Glen tomatoes, I also used them in my favorite Chickpea Tomato Spinach Curry.
I truly hope you love this Vegan Gnocchi Tomato Cream Sauce recipe! After the overindulgence of the Holidays, it’s so easy to get caught up thinking we have to eat a certain way or cut out any comfort food. However, this gnocchi sauce recipe truly has the best of both worlds- healthy, delicious, and comforting too. Enjoy!
Looking for more vegan weeknight dinner recipes? Check out these SGTO fan favorites!Print
Vegan gnocchi cooked with a creamy vegan tomato sauce. This tomato sauce recipe requires only 7 ingredients and less than 15 minutes for the perfect healthy weeknight dinner recipe!
- 4–5 cups vegan gnocchi (32-40 oz gnocchi)
- 1 14.5 oz can Muir Glen fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup oat or soy milk (almond milk also works, just isn’t as creamy)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper (about 1/2 large red pepper)
- 1/4–1/2 tsp chili flakes (depending on spice preference)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh basil (optional, to top)
- Begin by boiling the gnocchi according to package/recipe instructions. Strain the gnocchi and add it to a cast iron skillet/ large pan.
- Once the gnocchi has cooked, make the sauce. Add the canned tomatoes, red pepper, oat/soy milk, nutritional yeast, chili flakes, and garlic powder to a blender. Blend the ingredients together until completely smooth and no chunks remain. Then, add the sauce to the same skillet with the gnocchi.
- Turn on the heat and cook the gnocchi and sauce in the skillet for about 5 minutes to thicken and heat the sauce. When finished, remove from the heat and top with fresh basil. Serve and enjoy!
- gnocchi can be substituted for any pasta
- while i prefer fire roasted tomatoes for this recipe, any 14.5 oz can of diced or stewed tomatoes can be used in this recipe for similar results
- gnocchi can be stored in the fridge in a closed container for 2-4 days and in the freezer up to 1 month.
Keywords: creamy tomato sauce for gnocchi, vegan gnocchi sauce recipe, gnocchi tomato sauce, gnocchi in tomato sauce recipe, tomato sauce for gnocchi, gnocchi cream sauce, gnocchi marinara, gnocchi sauce recipe, gnocchi dinner recipe