This Vegan Tomato Gnocchi Soup is packed with flavor, easy to make in one pot, and ready in just 30 minutes! Look no further for a truly cozy & comforting dairy-free soup.
To celebrate the New Year & Veganuary this entire month will be dedicated to vegan meal ideas! It just so happens that the most requested recipe request I received was... more soups! Luckily, I absolutely love creating hearty dairy-free & vegan soups (and eating them!).
This recipe is based on my love for two SGTO favorites- my Vegan Gnocchi with Tomato Cream Sauce and Vegan Gnocchi with Mushrooms & Kale. I am beyond excited to share this delicious dairy-free gnocchi soup next!
While the full list of ingredients for this soup is in the recipe card, here's a quick recap of the simple ingredients you need for this recipe:
- Olive Oil
- Canned diced tomatoes (diced is best for this soup)
- Veggie broth (I highly suggest Pacific Foods veggie broth)
- Oat milk
- Gnocchi (I used De Cecco Gnocchi for this recipe, but I've also used leftover homemade vegan gnocchi in it which is even better!)
- Fresh basil
- Salt & pepper
- Dried parsley
How to make vegan gnocchi soup
This tomato gnocchi soup couldn't be easier to make! Not only does it only take 30 minutes, but it requires just one pot and stores great as leftovers.
First, sauté garlic & shallots
The first step to making this delicious gnocchi soup is to caramelize those shallots & garlic by cooking them in a little olive oil until translucent. It really takes just 3-5 minutes to give them a nice flavor boost.
Add tomatoes, broth, & oat milk
Then, add in the canned tomatoes (I recommend using diced tomatoes for the best soup texture), veggie broth, and Oat Milk.
Oat milk or coconut milk are my go-to non-dairy milks for a creamy vegan soup. I used coconut milk in my Vegan Wild Rice Mushroom Soup but wanted to use oat milk here for a brothy consistency.
Bring to boil
Once all the liquid has been added, let the soup come to a boil. This gets everything to the right temperature for reheating/cooking the gnocchi!
Add gnocchi, spinach, & basil
Once the soup is boiling, add in the packaged gnocchi, spinach, and basil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook everything together for 3-5 minutes until the gnocchi has been cooked through and is soft and tender. The spinach should also wilt and be evenly mixed into the soup.
FAQ & Substitutions:
If you can find or make gluten-free gnocchi, definitely!
I also think Trader Joe's cauliflower gnocchi (which is vegan & gluten-free) would work super well in this soup. Since it is frozen it may need a little extra cooking time.
For this recipe, I used store-bought packaged gnocchi that was vegan.
However, you can also make homemade gnocchi and use it in this tomato basil spinach soup. If using homemade vegan gnocchi in this soup, make sure it has already been cooked/boiled prior to adding it to this soup.
If the gnocchi is freshly cooked, it doesn't really need additional cooking time in the soup and can be added at the last minute of cooking to warm.
Yes, just keep in mind, it will increase the cooking time slightly. Add the gnocchi in at the same time as the spinach and basil, but just add slightly more time (probably 1-2 minutes).
If it is pre-cooked, yes. This recipe would not work for cooking pasta or rice directly in the soup since there wouldn't be enough liquid.
However, if you have any leftover cooked pasta or rice just add it in the last 1-2 minutes of cooking the soup and it should work well.
es! If you do not want to use oat milk, coconut milk or rice milk will also work. Actually, any lower protein, high-fat milk will work. I don't recommend using soy milk in this recipe as it's pretty high in protein and the acidity of the tomatoes may cause the soy milk proteins to curdle.
I truly hope you love this super simple Vegan Tomato Basil Gnocchi Soup! It's so flavorful, filling, & truly one of my go-to comfort food recipes during the winter season. Enjoy & Happy Veganuary!
More vegan soup recipes you will love:
If you loved this recipe, please leave a 5-star review on the recipe card. I always appreciate your feedback and support! You can also follow along on my Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Pinterest or sign up for our newsletter!
Vegan Tomato Gnocchi Soup
- Start by adding the oil to a large soup pot or dutch oven. Once the oil is hot, add in the minced garlic and diced shallots and sauté over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until translucent.
- Then, add in the diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, and dried parsley and mix together.
- Once mixed, add in the vegetable broth and oat milk. Mix together and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add in the gnocchi, fresh spinach, and fresh basil. Mix together and cook everything for another 3-5 minutes until the gnocchi is soft and the spinach has wilted.
- Remove from the heat and serve while hot!
- If using frozen cooked gnocchi vs dried packaged gnocchi, add a few minutes of extra cooking time once the gnocchi is added.
- If using freshly cooked homemade gnocchi like my vegan gnocchi, add it in once the soup is removed from the heat as it is already fully cooked.
- Leftovers can be stored in a closed container for 3-4 days in the fridge and up to 1 month in the freezer.