If you are looking for a new refreshing & creamy smoothie flavor- this Vegan Strawberry Watermelon Smoothie recipe is perfect! With just 4 easy ingredients required, this naturally sweetened & no-sugar-added smoothie is the perfect way to enjoy fresh seasonal fruit for breakfast!
I'm pretty amazed that a watermelon recipe is even making it to SGTO! Honestly, fresh watermelon usually doesn't last more than a day or two in our house! It's probably tied with mangos for my absolute favorite fruit to eat in the summer, especially with a little salt on top (don't knock it until you try it!).
Not only does this vegan smoothie feature my favorite fruit, but it also is naturally vegan, gluten-free, and has no sugar added. Plus, it has a decent amount of protein thanks to cashew-based yogurt and hemp seeds for a filling and delicious breakfast recipe!
This watermelon strawberry smoothie recipe only requires 4 ingredients!
- Frozen strawberries
- Fresh watermelon (seedless is ideal)
- Plant-based yogurt (I used Forager project unsweetened cashew yogurt)
- Hemp seeds (for added plant-based protein!)
When it comes to hemp seeds, I love adding them to smoothies for the added protein without any flavor. I added them to my Green Breakfast Smoothie a few months ago and now pretty much add them to every smoothie I make!
Once you've gathered all the ingredients, just add them to a blender and blend until smooth. It's really THAT easy! P.S- This is the KitchenAid K400 Blender I used to make this recipe.
Health benefits of a strawberry watermelon smoothie:
One of the reasons I love having a smoothie for breakfast is because it always leaves me refreshed and never leaves me feeling weighed down. In this breakfast smoothie, we have a few star ingredients full of vitamins & minerals too!
- Watermelon- Keeps you hydrated & is high in Vitamin A and Vitamin C.
- Strawberries- Also high in Vitamin C which is great for your immune system & is high in potassium.
- Plant-based yogurt- Obviously this depends on the brand you use, but the yogurt I used is full of probiotics which are super important for gut health & healthy digestion!
- Hemp seeds- An amazing plant-based source of protein! Plus hemp seeds are packed with omega-3 and omega-6, which are two essential fatty acids we need in our diet (our body cannot produce them on our own).
At the end of the day, it's up to you to determine what you consider healthy, but this smoothie definitely passes my personal test for a healthy breakfast!
FAQ & Substitutions:
I will say it's pretty important to use frozen strawberries in this recipe. Otherwise, the smoothie won't be very thick. I actually prefer to buy my strawberries fresh, cut them, and freeze them in Stasher Bags in the summer. However, buying frozen strawberries directly from the store works too.
If you really want to use fresh strawberries, just add a few ice cubes to the blender to make the smoothie thicker.
I really really love using Forager Project cashew yogurt in this watermelon yogurt smoothie. At this point, I pretty much switch between that and unsweetened coconut yogurt (which I used in my Piña Colada Smoothie). However, any yogurt will work.
If you're okay with the smoothie being vegetarian and not vegan, Greek yogurt is a great option. A sweetened or flavored plant-based yogurt is also an option, though I highly recommend sticking to vanilla or strawberry so the flavor of the fruit still shines through. Lastly, if you're okay with a thinner smoothie, plant-based milk should work as a 1:1 substitution too.
Definitely! Using yogurt actually keeps this smoothie creamy even hours after blending it together. I actually like to make this smoothie as a batch of two and then save one in a covered glass to drink the next day. After being blended, smoothies will stay fresh in the fridge for around 24-48 hours.
While I like this smoothie as is, there are a ton of other ingredients you can add to it.
A few personal favorites of mine in this smoothie include ground flaxseed, spinach (for some greens), cacao nibs for a fun crunch, and a little lemon juice for extra flavor. If you are looking to add more protein, I also love Ora Organic Vanilla Protein Powder.
I truly hope you all love this easy & creamy Vegan Strawberry Watermelon Smoothie recipe! It truly is the best easy, delicious, and seasonal smoothie recipe for summer!
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes You Will Love:
If you loved this recipe, please leave a 5-star review in the recipe card. I always appreciate your feedback and support! You can also follow along on my Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Pinterest or sign up for our newsletter!
Strawberry Watermelon Smoothie
- 4 cups chopped watermelon seedless preferred
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- ¾ cup plant-based yogurt I used Forager project cashew yogurt
- 1-2 Tablespoon hemp seeds optional for added protein
- First, chop up the watermelon. Then, add the chopped watermelon, frozen strawberries, plant-based yogurt, and hemp seeds to a blender.
- Blend until smooth. Then, pour into two glasses and enjoy immediately!
- Smoothies are best enjoyed right away but can be stored in a closed container or cup with a lid in the fridge for 24-48 hours.
- There is not a good substitute for watermelon in this recipe, however, strawberries can be subbed 1:1 for any frozen berry
- A few of my favorite add-ins to this smoothie include ground flaxseed, spinach (for some greens), cacao nibs for a fun crunch, and a little lemon juice for extra flavor. If you are looking to add more protein, I also love Ora Organic Vanilla Protein Powder.