Have you ever tried a Savory Yogurt Bowl?! If not, then you have to try this dairy-free & gluten-free version made with crispy chickpeas, fresh veggies, herbs, and a drizzle of pesto to bring it all together!
Many savory breakfasts require a ton of steps, but these yogurt bowls can be whipped up in just 40 minutes and are easy to prep ahead of time for a quick & filling vegan breakfast idea.
- Yogurt: I used an unsweetened plain yogurt from Forager Project. You'll want to keep the yogurt unsweetened to make these bowls savory.
- If you are vegetarian (but not vegan) plain Greek yogurt or even cottage cheese are other great substitutes here!
- Chickpeas: While I made super simple spiced chickpeas, you can easily swap these out for another bean recipe!
- Veggies: I chose to use cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and sliced red onion for these bowls. However, feel free to swap in whatever veggies you prefer!
- Pesto: I used a store-bought dairy-free pesto for this recipe, however, my homemade vegan pesto would be just as delicious in these bowls!
- Fresh dill: Omit or substitute with other fresh herbs like basil, parsley, or chives.
How to make savory vegan yogurt bowls
Make the crispy chickpeas
This step couldn't be easier. Start by preheating your oven to 375F and lining a baking tray with parchment paper.
Then, strain and rinse your canned and cooked chickpeas. Make sure to dry them COMPLETELY before adding them to the tray. Drizzle the avocado oil and spices on top of the chickpeas and use your hands or a spatula to mix together until the chickpeas are completely coated.
Then, add the tray of seasoned chickpeas to the oven and roast for about 30 minutes until the chickpeas are nice and crispy!
Prep the veggies & herbs
While the chickpeas are roasting, prep the veggies. Dice the cherry tomatoes in half and dice the red onion and cucumber. Add them to a bowl and mix with the lemon juice and salt.
This step helps to soften the harshness of the red onion and also makes the cucumbers and tomatoes a bit softer and more flavorful.
You'll also want to dice up your fresh dill at this time.
Assemble the yogurt bowls
Start by adding about ½ cup of yogurt to a bowl. Then, top with a few scoops of the crispy roasted chickpeas, veggies, and dill. To finish it off, drizzle with about ½ Tablespoon of pesto and serve!
FAQ & Tips:
Can I add other toppings to vegan yogurt bowls?
Definitely! While I love this bowl as is, it's honestly a very flexible recipe.
You can swap out the chickpeas for other crispy beans, add some nuts or seeds, add in some roasted veggies, swap the fresh veggies for some pickled ones, add freshly sliced avocado, or even top with an egg if you aren't worried about keeping these bowls vegan.
Truly, there are so many variations you can make of this dish to keep it fun and interesting for breakfast or a healthy snack!
How do I store the ingredients?
With these bowls, it's best to store all of the ingredients separately.
Keep the yogurt in its original container and store it according to the package instructions.
For the chickpeas, they can be stored in a closed container at room temperature for 1-2 days or in the fridge for 3-4 days. Keep in mind that chickpeas will lose their crispiness over time but will still taste delicious!
The marinated veggies can be stored in a closed container in the fridge for 2-3 days as well.
Just assemble the bowls when you are ready to enjoy an easy prep-ahead breakfast!
I can't wait for you to try these Savory Vegan Yogurt Bowls! Not only are they ready in less than 40 minutes, but they store great as leftovers and make such an easy & healthy breakfast option. Enjoy!
More vegan breakfast recipes you will love:
If you loved this recipe, please leave a 5-star review in the recipe card. I always appreciate your feedback and support! You can also follow along on my Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Pinterest or sign up for our newsletter!
Savory Yogurt Bowls
- 15 ounce can chickpeas rinse & strained, about 1.5 cups total
- 1 ½ Tablespoons avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 cup diced English cucumber
- ⅓ cup diced red onion finely diced
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon salt start with ¼ and add up to ½ if desired
Yogurt Bowl Ingredients:
- 2 cups unsweetened plain vegan yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons vegan pesto
- 2 Tablespoons fresh dill chopped
Make the crispy chickpeas:
- Preheat the oven to 375F. While it is preheating, strain & rinse the chickpeas, then pat dry. The chickpeas must be COMPLETELY dry to get the right crispy texture, so don't skip this step.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and add the chickpeas, avocado oil, garlic powder, paprika, salt, & pepper. Mix together until the chickpeas are coated.
- Add the tray of seasoned chickpeas to the oven to roast for 30 minutes until the chickpeas are crispy.
- Once cooked, remove and set aside to cool slightly.
Make veggies & assemble the bowls:
- While the chickpeas are cooling, chop the tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion. Add them to a bowl with the lemon juice and salt and stir together. You'll also want to chop the dill at this time and set it aside.
- To assemble a yogurt bowl, start by adding ½ cup of yogurt to a bowl. Then, top with a few scoops of chopped veggies and crispy chickpeas. Drizzle with ½ Tablespoon of pesto and top with fresh dill to serve. Enjoy!