January is definitely the perfect month to eat bowls upon bowls of soup. That’s why I knew I needed to share the recipe for this super easy, creamy, vegan, and gluten-free Sweet Dumpling Squash Soup. Get ready for the absolute best winter squash soup recipe!
How To Make The Best Vegan Winter Sweet Dumpling Squash Soup
Lately, I have been on a soup-making spree. It’s the perfect way to have a hearty and healthy meal. Plus, there are really only four steps involved in making any roasted vegetable soup recipe at home:
Roast Your Vegetables!
This is my go-to first step for any soup recipe. For example, in my Roasted Carrot & Cauliflower Soup, I start by roasting chopped carrots & cauliflower. This recipe is even easier because all you need to do is slice two dumpling squash in half, season, and bake them for 30-35 until the inside of the squash is soft and tender.
Blend the Veggies & Coconut Milk!
For that extra creamy texture, you’re going to want a vegan soup made with coconut milk. If you have an immersion blender, you can save some cleanup and do the blending directly in your cooking pot. However, if you’re like me and only have a standing blender, you’re going to want to let your vegetables cool a bit and then blend them with coconut milk.
Add Veggie Broth, Spices, and simmer that soup to thicken!
Add some more seasoning and broth to your pot and bring to a boil. Then, turn down to a simmer and cook to thicken your soup.
This is where you can be fun and creative. For this soup, I added fresh pomegranate seeds and I made kale chips following OhSheGlows Kale Chip recipe. If you’ve ever wondered “what are some creative soup toppings?” here are a few more ideas: roasted broccoli, crunchy chickpeas, hemp seeds, green onions, pumpkin seeds, or even slices of apples. Believe me- it will all be good!
A Sweet & Flavorful Winter Squash Soup
This soup has been one of my favorite meals to eat this winter. My boyfriend has even claimed it to be the best soup I’ve ever made, so you KNOW it is good.
On another note, it’s the last week of savory January over here on SGTO. It has been so fun showing you all the savory side of my cooking. Which is why I ended this savory month by sharing two recipes today including these Miso Garlic Roasted Brussel Sprouts. Dare I say they are the perfect side to serve alongside this soup? I think I will say that they are. Happy Soup Making!
Looking for more delicious vegan fall and winter recipes? Check these SGTO favorites out!Print
A quick and easy vegan, gluten-free, and healthy Sweet Dumpling Winter Squash Soup! This soup requires only 8 ingredients to make a creamy and delicious comforting bowl of soup at home.
- 2 medium sweet dumpling squash (*about 3 cups of squash once cooked)
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2–1 tsp chili falkes (more or less depending on preferred spice level)
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- 2–3 cups kale chips
- 4 Tbsp roasted squash seeds
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Begin by taking your squash and cutting it in half horizontally to separate the top and bottom. Remove the seeds and stringy flesh from inside of the squash. Discard the seeds or wash and save them to roast as a topping.
- After the seeds are removed, coat the inside of the squash with a little cooking spray and season with salt and pepper to your liking. Lightly grease a large baking tray and place the squash on the tray with the skin facing up.
- Bake the squash for 35-40 minutes or until the inside is tender, soft, and easily pierced with a fork/knife. The size of your squash will influence the baking time. Remove the squash from the oven and let cool.
- Once the squash has cooled enough to handle, scoop out the flesh and add into a blender. The amount can vary by the size of your squash, but you’ll want to have around 3-3.5 cups of squash. Next, add in your canned coconut milk and blend with the squash until smooth. (If you have an immersion blender, you can keep the soup in the pot and use an immersion blender instead for this step).
- Pour the squash and coconut milk into a large pot and add in your vegetable broth, chili flakes, garlic powder, fresh lemon juice, and as much salt and pepper as you would like. Stir to combine.
- Bring the pot of soup to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes to thicken the soup. Remove from the heat and serve. Top with fresh pomegranate, kale chips, or roasted squash seeds. Enjoy!
*If you’d like to roast the seeds as a topping for the soup, first rinse and dry them. Then, season to your liking with salt, pepper, oil, and spices. Roast at 300F for about 15-20 minutes or until the seeds start to pop. Let cool and then add to the top of your soup or eat as a snack
*I followed Oh She Glow’s recipe for Kale Chips which is linked in this blog post for reference
Keywords: Vegan Soup, Winter Squash Soup, Sweet Dumpling Squash Soup, Best Vegan Squash Soup, Roasted Winter Squash Soup, How to Cook Sweet Dumpling Squash, Sweet Dumpling Squash Recipe