I'm a firm believer everyone needs a go-to one-pot vegetable soup recipe and this Vegan Tuscan White Bean Kale Soup is truly the best! With fresh veggies, plenty of herbs for flavor, and cannellini beans for extra protein- this truly is the best light and healthy Mediterranean Vegetable Soup!
If you didn't know, I LOVE making homemade vegan soups. In fact, as soon as the weather starts getting chilly- it's the #1 food I crave. Some of my favorite soups to date are my Carrot Cauliflower Soup, Lemon Orzo Soup, and Vegan Mushroom Wild Rice Soup, however, I realized I had never shared my go-to simple vegetable soup!
With simple, fresh, and nutritious ingredients, this White Bean Kale Soup is truly an easy weeknight go-to and can easily be made in one pot!
- Cannelini Beans: I love this soup with white beans, but you can substitute for any bean of your choice. Chickpeas are another great option like I used in my Lemon Orzo Chickpea Soup!
- Kale: Can be substituted 1:1 for any green. Just make sure to add it at the end of cooking so it doesn't overcook the greens!
- Vegetable broth: I used store bought vegetable broth, but you can also make your own! Here's a great recipe for homemade vegetable broth.
- Thyme: Is a completely optional ingredient and more of a garnish. The soup is just as good without it.
How to make tuscan white bean kale soup
- First, prep & chop the veggies
- Saute the shallots & garlic with oil 2-3 minutes
- Add in the carrots, celery and spices
- Saute everything together for about 5 minutes
The shallots, carrots, and celery are a twist on a traditional Mirepoix (which is typically made with onions) and adds a ton of flavor to this dish. Plus, sauteing the veggies first is to give them a really nice flavor while making sure they get fully cooked in this recipe.
P.S- I used my Le Creuset Dutch Oven to cook this one-pot vegetable soup and can't recommend it enough. It's my favorite pot to cook soup in!
- Add in the vegetable broth, canned diced tomatoes, Bay leaves, and fresh thyme.
- Bring to a boil & simmer 5-10 minutes
Since we have already partially cooked the veggies, this soup doesn't need too much cooking time once we add in the rest of the ingredients.
Simmering the soup for 5-10 minutes helps to get all the flavor from the fresh thyme and bay leaves while allowing the soup to get nice and hot.
- Add in the kale and cook another 2 minutes. This is really just to cook the kale until it wilts. After that, the tuscan white bean soup is ready to be eaten!
FAQ & Tips:
This soup is great on its own or with a slice of simple toast.
However, if you want to make a really good bread to go along with this white bean soup I highly recommend my Vegan Garlic Bread, Vegan Challah, or Easy Spelt Bread which can be toasted. If you're looking for something a little more filling my Tomato Spinach Babka is another great option that matches the Mediterranean flavors in this soup.
Definitely! Chickpeas work just as well in this vegan Tuscan soup recipe as do any other bean. You could also add in cooked pasta.
Definitely! I choose the vegetables in this soup to make it similar to a traditional Tuscan Ribollita (but vegan). However, you can add in any veggies you want.
Swap spinach or chard for kale, add in zucchini for a twist in summer, or even potatoes for a more hearty soup.
Leftover soup can be stored in a closed container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month. If storing in the freezer, I highly recommend storing in individual portions so it is easier to defrost.
Just reheat in a pot on the stove until warmed throughout or microwave to enjoy as leftovers!
I truly hope you enjoy this Vegan Tuscan White Bean Kale Soup filled with fresh veggies, cannellini beans, and plenty of flavor! It's bound to be your go-to comfort soup on chilly days with bread on the side. Enjoy!
More Vegan Soup Recipes You Will Love:
Loved this recipe? Then don't forget to leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and a review. I always appreciate your feedback! Stay in touch with me on Instagram, Facebook, Tiktok, and Pinterest, or sign up for our newsletter so you never miss another recipe!
Vegan Tuscan White Bean Soup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic finely minced
- 2 shallots diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning *can be subbed 1:1 for dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt *add more or less as desired
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 14.5 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces can cooked cannelini beans strained and rinsed
- ½ lemon, juiced *about 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh thyme (optional, add as much as desired)
- 2 cups lacinato kale *stems removed
- Add the olive oil to a large pot and turn on the heat. Once the oil is hot, add in the diced shallots and minced garlic and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Then, add the diced carrots, chopped celery, Italian seasoning, salt, & pepper to the pot. Stir and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Next, add in the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, cannelini beans, lemon juice, and bay leaves. If desired, you can also add fresh thyme at this point.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook 5 minutes until the soup is hot. Then, add in the chopped lacinato kale and cook another 1-2 minutes until the kale has wilted.
- Remove the soup from and serve while hot. Enjoy!
- Leftover soup can be stored in a closed container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Kale can be subbed 1:1 with any leafy green like spinach or chard.
- Cannelini beans can be subbed 1:1 with any cooked bean like chickpeas.
- If you want to make a really good bread to go along with this white bean soup I highly recommend my Vegan Garlic Bread, Vegan Challah, or Easy Spelt Bread which can be toasted. If you're looking for something a little more filling my Tomato Spinach Babka is another great option that matches the Mediterranean flavors in this soup.
- I used my Le Creuset Dutch Oven to cook this one-pot vegetable soup. It is truly my favorite pot to cook soup in!