If there is one thing I can bake every weekend and never get sick of it’s a slice of really good vegan banana bread. This Vegan Banana Bread isn’t just any banana bread though! In addition to being absolutely delicious it’s also refined-sugar free, filled with healthy tahini, and the absolute perfect breakfast treat. If you’re on the hunt for a new banana bread recipe, let this Healthier Vegan Tahini Banana Bread be it!
The Secret to the BEST Vegan Banana Bread
There is one key ingredient that will make any vegan banana bread turn from good to great and that is really really ripe bananas!
How Ripe Should Your Bananas be for Banana Bread?
I’m not talking spotty brown bananas, I’m talking bananas that are only one shade of black on the outside. They may look rotten because of the color, but if you eat black bananas within 1-2 days of them turning this color they are actually super soft and sweet inside.
I usually put mine right into the fridge so they don’t go bad or attract any bugs! I find black bananas can stay good on the counter 1-2 days, in the fridge for 1-2 weeks, and can even be frozen to last up to 1 month.
What is Tahini?
If you’ve never had tahini in dessert before, let me tell you it is a game-changer. Tahini is a smooth paste made out of ground hulled sesame. It can be purchased raw or toasted (and either work for this recipe!) and is typically featured in middle eastern cuisine such as hummus. Essentially, it’s similar to almond butter or peanut butter but it is made with sesame seeds.
What Does Tahini Taste Like?
Unlike nut butter, it’s actually not very sweet and some brands are even a bit bitter. For that reason, it adds a savory element when mixed with sweet bananas, maple syrup, and coconut sugar.
What Brand of Tahini Should I use in this Recipe?
The Best Tahini Substitutes
While I used Tahini to make this vegan banana bread, it just so happens that this recipe is just as good with any other nut or seed butter.
I’ve made this recipe with almond butter and even sunflower butter (though it changed color!) and it was just as delicious. If you do choose to replace the tahini I recommend using a thinner more natural brand that doesn’t add any emulsifiers. Trader Joe’s almond butter is my favorite to bake with as a tahini substitute.
How to Make a Refined Sugar-Free Banana Bread
Since I seriously eat vegan banana bread weekly, I wanted to make this Vegan Tahini Banana Bread refined sugar-free and a bit healthier. Here are the ingredients I used and what you can substitute them with if you don’t have the exact ingredient on hand
Ingredients For a Healthier Banana Bread
Maple Syrup: I recommend using high-quality maple syrup (aka no Aunt Jemima). You can also replace any maple syrup with honey (though not vegan) or molasses (not blackstrap but light molasses). This would change the texture/taste a bit but should give similar results! I don’t recommend replacing maple syrup 1:1 with sugar.
Coconut Sugar: I also used Wholesome Organics Coconut Sugar. While coconut sugar tends to be a healthier option for some, you can replace it with turbinado sugar or organic sugar 1:1 in this recipe.
Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips: To keep this recipe healthier I used my favorite chocolate that has no sugar added from Pascha Organic. There are definitely other good brands out there, but these chips are by far my favorite to bake with as they really hold their shape!
To make this Vegan Tahini Banana Bread even better I highly recommend grabbing extra tahini and drizzling a little on top. Then, cut a slice and serve with a glass of oat milk or a warm cup of coffee. If a slice of vegan banana bread isn’t the perfect way to start your morning, I’m not sure what is! Enjoy 🙂
If you’re looking for other Vegan Brunch Ideas, check out these recipes on the blog:Print
A delicious healthier Vegan Tahini Banana Bread that is refined sugar-free and made with spelt flour. The perfect sweet breakfast or brunch recipe!
- 3 medium bananas (*ideally black or brown)
- 1/3 cup raw tahini (*make sure fresh and not dried out)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 Tbsp almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste/extract
- 1 1/4 cup spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2–3/4 cup chocolate chips (*optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Remove the peel from your bananas, add the banana flesh to a large mixing bowl, and mash until soft with some chunks.
- Next, add your liquid ingredients to the bowl containing the bananas including the tahini, maple syrup, coconut sugar, flax seed, almond milk, and vanilla bean paste/extract. Mix together until well combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, sift together your spelt flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the bowl of dry ingredients to the other bowl containing the wet ingredients and mix until a thick batter forms. If adding chocolate chips pour in about 1/2 cup and use a spatula to stir these into the batter as a final step.
- Grease a small loaf pan and then pour the batter into the pan. Use a spatula to smooth out the batter. If using chocolate chips sprinkle an additional 1/4 cup on top.
- Add the tahini banana bread to the oven and cook for 50-60 minutes until cooked throughout and browned on top. Remove from the oven and let cool. When ready to eat slice into 8 pieces and enjoy!
Keywords: banana bread, vegan banana bread, tahini banana bread, best vegan banana bread recipe, healthier banana bread, refined sugar-free banana bread, tahini desserts,