If you’re looking for the perfect Fourth of July dessert that happens to be vegan, classy, and great for large parties then these Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream and Fresh Berries are it! With berries perfectly in season, there is no reason not to deck out cupcakes with all the red, white, and blue.
The Quest for the Perfect Vegan Vanilla Cupcake
My quest for the perfect Vegan Cupcake started a few months ago when I made these amazing Lemon Olive Oil Cupcakes. That also happens to be the recipe where I perfected my Vegan Frosting recipe. Next, I made these decadent Earl Grey Cupcakes with Blueberry Frosting. However, a classic Vegan Vanilla Cupcake recipe was missing from the blog. Hence, the story behind my quest for the perfect vegan vanilla cupcake!
How to Make the Perfect Vegan Vanilla Cupcake Every Time
At this point, I have tested my fair share of cupcakes. There are a few tricks to perfectly fluffy vegan cupcakes that will have the right texture every time.
#1: Always Use Pastry or Cake Flour
I use Bob’s Red Mill Pastry Flour for all my cupcake recipes. Pastry flour is lower in protein than regular all-purpose flour, which ultimately leads to a more tender cupcake with a better crumb. It really is worth it to buy this flour!
#2: Don’t Overmix the Batter
The more you mix the batter, the more gluten will form. While you want lots and lots of gluten in recipes like my Vegan Matcha Black Sesame Sticky Buns, cupcakes need a light and airy batter that is not dense. Also, overmixing the batter will get rid of some of the air bubbles in the batter and lead to a flatter more dense cupcake. Moral of the story- please don’t overmix cupcake batter!
#3: Don’t Store Cupcakes in the Fridge!
This might be a more inconvenient tip, but I actually never recommend you store cupcakes in the fridge. Why? Because it completely dries out the cupcakes even after one day! Instead, store cupcakes that are frosted in a closed container up to 3 days at room temperature or freeze unfrosted cupcakes up to 1 month. Just let the frozen cupcakes defrost on the counter for a few hours before frosting to enjoy!
#4: Good Cupcake Liners Matter!
Make sure to choose a good brand of cupcake liners so that your cupcakes don’t get greasy. I prefer the non-colored all-natural ones in pretty much all of my recipes on the blog!
These Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes topped with vanilla buttercream and fresh berries are sure to be a hit at all your summer gatherings! For me, the 4th of July should always be filled with plenty of desserts, time with friends, and definitely some time out on the water relaxing. Growing up every year was spent at my family’s house on the lake where we’d watch fireworks on the boat. This year, I’ll be hanging with some friends at a local park in Seattle and I truly can’t wait for a day of good food and relaxation!
Even if you don’t celebrate the 4th- I still hope you find a good excuse to make these cupcakes this summer! Enjoy :).
Looking for more 4th of July Recipes? Check out these SGTO summer party favorites:Print
The best Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes topped with vegan vanilla buttercream and delicious fresh blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries.
Vanilla Cupcake Ingredients
- 1 1/4 cup pastry/cake flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup nut milk (*I prefer almond milk)
- 2/3 cup organic sugar
- 3 Tbsp oil (*I prefer coconut or avocado oil)
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste/extract
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 Tbsp coconut cream
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste/extract
- 1 1/4 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup fresh blackberries
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
First, make your cupcakes
- Preheat your oven to 350F and place paper baking liners into a muffin pan. Set aside for later.
- In a medium mixing bowl sift together your pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together your wet ingredients including the nut milk, sugar, oil, and vanilla. Then, add the sifted dry ingredients to the mixing bowl containing the wet ingredients and mix until a smooth batter forms.
- Add the batter to your lined muffin pan so that each liner is about 3/4 full. Bake the cupcakes for 22-24 muffins until cooked through. Remove from the oven and let cool before frosting.
Then, make the frosting
- To make the frosting, add the vegan butter and shortening to a mixing bowl and whip until creamed together. Once creamed, add in your coconut cream and vanilla and whip about 30 more seconds to combine.
- Next, slowly whip in your powdered sugar until no lumps remain. As a final step, top each cupcake with a mix of raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries. Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: vegan cupcakes, vegan vanilla cupcakes, vanilla cupcakes with fresh berries, the best vegan vanilla cupcakes, easy vegan cupcake recipe, vegan vanilla buttercream, vegan berry cupcakes