These 10-ingredient Buffalo Chickpea Wraps are easy enough to whip up in just 20 minutes. Plus, the buffalo chickpea salad filling is great for meal prep or to enjoy as leftovers for a quick & easy lunch option all week long.
It's been a while since I've brought you a new lunch recipe- but every January it's one of my top recipe requests to celebrate veganuary!
If you loved my Edamame Hummus Wraps or Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos, then you are going to love this new recipe!
- Buffalo sauce: I used Primal Kitchen Buffalo Sauce since it is vegan & dairy-free while still being creamy and thick. If you prefer a homemade sauce then you can try this vegan buffalo sauce recipe made with cashews for a similar consistency.
- I also used this buffalo sauce in my buffalo tempeh so make sure to try that recipe next!
- You can also buy a different store-bought version if you prefer!
- Romaine: This is my preferred lettuce for this wrap because it adds a really nice crisp & crunchy texture. However, feel free to swap it out for other greens like arugula, spinach, or any lettuce you would like.
How to make buffalo chickpea wraps
Mash the chickpeas
First strain & rinse the canned chickpeas. You should have about 1 ½ cups of cooked chickpeas once strained.
Add the chickpeas to a bowl with 1 Tablespoon of avocado and mash together. The oil helps the chickpeas break down more and not be so dry.
Make the buffalo chickpea salad
Next, dice up the red onion and celery and add them to the bowl of mashed chickpeas. Pour in the vegan buffalo sauce and stir everything together until coated.
Assemble the wraps
This is where you can really great creative, but for this wrap, I choose to use chopped romaine lettuce, sliced avocado, sliced tomatoes, and fresh dill.
Add the lettuce first then top it with the buffalo chickpea salad. Then, add the avocado, tomato, and dill and fold them into a wrap.
Toast and slice the wrap
This step is optional, but I love a toasted wrap so I highly recommend it! Once the wrap is assembled, add it to a nonstick pan and cook on each side for a few minutes until the wrap begins to brown and is warm.
Then, slice the chickpea wrap in half and enjoy!
FAQ & Tips:
Can I make buffalo chickpea wraps gluten-free?
Definitely! Just use a gluten-free wrap. The buffalo sauce I used is gluten-free, but just make sure to double-check this if you use a different brand.
Can I add different toppings to buffalo wraps?
Totally! Shredded carrots, shredded purple cabbage, sliced bell peppers, picked onions, or even vegan aioli are all great additions to this wrap.
My one suggestion would be to just make sure not to overfill the wrap. Otherwise, it will be pretty impossible to wrap up!
How do I store leftovers?
The buffalo chickpea salad can be stored in a closed container in the fridge for 3-4 days. It does not freeze well.
For the veggies, it's best to store the romaine, avocado, and dill separately in the fridge and prep each when you are ready to add them to a wrap. This leads to a fresher-tasting wrap!
For the best quality, make sure to store tomatoes at room temperature vs. in the fridge.
I can't wait for you to try these quick & easy Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Wraps! With just 10 ingredients and 20 minutes required, they make eating a healthy plant-based lunch a breeze. Enjoy!
More plant-based lunch ideas you will love:
If you loved this recipe, please leave a 5-star review on the recipe card. I always appreciate your feedback and support! You can also follow along on my Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Pinterest, or sign up for our newsletter!
Buffalo Chickpea Wraps
- 4 large tortilla wraps burrito size works best
- 15 ounce can of chickpeas strained and rinsed (about ⅕ cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- ½ medium red onion diced (about ½ cup)
- 2 stalks celery diced (about ⅓ cup)
- ⅓ cup vegan buffalo sauce
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes thinly sliced
- 2 avocadoes thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh dill optional
- Strain and rinse the canned chickpeas. Then, add them to a bowl with the avocado oil and use a fork or potato masher to mash. I prefer my mashed chickpeas with some chunks, but you can also mash them until they are completely smooth.
- Prep the veggies by dicing the red onion and celery. You will also want to slice the tomatoes and avocado at this time if using them.
- Add the diced red onion and diced celery to the bowl of mashed chickpeas and pour the buffalo sauce on top. Mix everything together until coated.
- To assemble the wraps add a few pieces of romaine lettuce to the bottom center of each wrap. Top with a few scoops of buffalo chickpea salad, 2 slices of tomatoes, 2-3 slices of avocado, and a sprinkle of fresh dill.
- Turn each wrap so one of the empty sides without filling is facing you. Then fold the wrap edge towards the center of the filling. Next, tuck the edges in and fold the wrap towards the unwrapped side until all the fillings are tucked in.
- If desired, add the wrap to a non-stick pan and cook over medium heat for a few minutes to toast. Remove the wrap from the heat, slice it in half, and enjoy!
- The buffalo chickpea salad can be stored in a closed container in the fridge for 3-4 days. It does not freeze well.
- Please see blog post for substitution ideas.
Sarah B. says
So delicious and super easy. Adding this to my weekly meal rotation!
Thanks for the review so happy you liked it!