Making an epic and delicious toast at home doesn’t have to be hard! This Broccolini, Caramelized Onion, & Hummus Toast makes the perfect vegan weeknight dinner!
Right now at the market, I keep seeing loads on onions, brussels, potatoes, kale, carrots, and my favorite vegetable of all time- Broccoli. I’m one of those rare children that actually got excited to eat her broccoli at dinner. I still remember the days I looked forward to Thai with my parents and ordered the “Beef with Broccoli & Oyster Sauce” every single time. My Thai order has definitely changed with time (hold the beef!), but my love of broccoli has definitely not.
So with these yummy hearty green vegetables so abundant this time of year, I decided to make one of my favorite savory toasts for you all. This recipe requires a few steps to be happening simultaneously, but I promise- the flavor and texture combo is so worth it. Also, it is so versatile! You can literally top toast with hummus and any of your favorite veggies to make a really filling lunch or dinner.
Sometimes, I make homemade hummus with this ( or if I’m being honest I mash chickpeas up with a fork and slather it on bread), but store-bought hummus works just as well with this recipe to really simplify the cooking needed. Though I don’t eat meat, my boyfriend loves to add in ground pork as another topping if you want to give that a try.. Also if you aren’t making it vegan- parmesan cheese really brings together all the tastes to create this awesomely spicy, sweet, savory toast!
These toasts are perfectly savory and can be made as a lunch or dinner!
- 1 large onion (sliced into thin strips)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 oz broccolini (halfed)
- 1 tbsp olive/avocado oil ((olive oil will also work))
- 1 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 1″ thick slices sourdough bread
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 4 tbsp hummus
- Begin by preparing your vegetables. Slice the onion, cut the ends of your broccolini and half each stem to make thinner slices, slice your bread into 1 inch thick slices.
- First you will cook the onions. Add 1 tbsp of vegan butter to a cast iron skillet( or other frying pan). Once simmering, add your onion slices and cook until brown and caramelized stirring frequently for about 12 minutes. Add salt & pepper to taste. Once caramelized, set aside.
- Next, cook your broccolini. Coat your broccolini with avocado oil, salt, pepper, chili flakes, and garlic powder and add to a baking sheet. Turn on your broiler and cook until broccoli is brown and crispy, about 12 minutes.
- While the broccoli is broiling, use the skillet/pan you used for the onions to pan fry your bread. Add in 1 tbsp vegan butter per 2 slices of toast and cook each side around 3-5 minutes until browned and crisp.
- Once all ingredients are cooked, top each slice of toast with 1 tbsp hummus, a scoop of caramelized onions, and a few peices of spicy broccolini. Enjoy!