This 30 minute 5 ingredient Gluten-Free Tart Crust is truly the perfect base for any tart recipe. Plus, this one-bowl tart crust is dairy-free, vegan, & requires no chill time!
This gluten-free tart shell is so easy to make and is full of flavor. While I haven't baked too many tarts yet, I made this recipe as a base to use in all of the tart recipes to come.
The best part? You can make the entire dough in one bowl and press it right into the pan. No chilling or rolling required!
- Almond flour: I recommend using super-fine almond flour- I like using a superfine almond flour or blanched almond flour.
- Oat flour: I prefer to use store bought oat flour to save time. However, you can also make oat flour at home by blending oats. Here's a guide on how to make homemade oat flour.
- Maple syrup: High-quality maple syrup always is best!
- Coconut oil: Can be substituted 1:1 for melted vegan butter.
How to make a gluten-free tart
Make the tart dough
First, whisk together the dry ingredients including the almond flour, oat flour, and salt.
Then, add in the maple syrup and melted coconut oil and mix into a thick dough. The tart dough should hold together and not be crumbly. However, it also shouldn't be sticky.
Press into a tart pan
Next, take the vegan tart dough and add it to a non-stick 9-inch tart pan. I HIGHLY recommend using a tart pan with a removable bottom for this recipe. Otherwise, it can be pretty tricky to get the tart crust out.
I like using a mix of my hands, a measuring cup, and a spatula to press the dough in. Make sure to press the dough along the sides of the pan right up to the top too.
Then, use a fork to dock the dough aka poke holes in the dough. This allows the steam to escape while baking so the pie crust doesn't puff up in the oven.
Bake the tart
As a final step, add the gluten-free tart shell to the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the tart is fully cooked and turning a light brown color.
Remove the vegan tart shell from the oven, let cool, and then add your favorite filling!
I specially made this oat & almond tart crust as a base for my favorite Vegan Lemon Tart. However, it really works for any filling including my Salted Dark Chocolate Tarts or a gluten-free pie.
FAQ & Tips:
What is the difference between pie crust and tart crust?
Pie crusts tend to be very flaky and light whereas a tart crust is usually more dense and crumbly. Tart crusts and pie crusts both tend to be buttery. However, a tart crust will be closer to a shortbread cookie vs. a pastry.
Can I freeze this tart crust?
Definitely! Before freezing, you want to make sure to let the tart crust cool completely. Then, remove it from the tart pan and store in a closed container or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap in the freezer for 1-2 months.
This gluten-free tart crust is fragile, so just be careful when transferring it to the freezer.
What pan works best for this tart?
I used my Wilton 9-inch tart pan. Whatever brand you use, just make sure to use one with a removable bottom for the best results!
I truly hope you enjoy this super simple 5-ingredient Vegan & Gluten-Free Tart Crust. It's slowly becoming a staple in my baking recipes, and I can't wait to whip it out at Thanksgiving this year too. Enjoy!
More baking basics to check out:
Gluten-Free Tart Crust
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- To make the crust, add the almond flour, oat flour, and salt to a mixing bowl. Then, use a whisk to sift together until well combined.
- Next, add the maple syrup and melted coconut oil to the mixing bowl. Then, mix everything together until you have a firm dough. The dough should not be sticky, but it should hold together. If the dough is too crumbly, add 1-2 teaspoons more of melted coconut oil until the dough holds together.
- Add the dough to a 9-inch non-stick tart pan (preferably a tart pan with a removable bottom for easy release).
- Use your hands or a measuring cup to evenly press the dough into the tart pan making sure to press it up the sides as well. Before baking, pierce/dock the bottom of the tart with a fork several times so it doesn’t puff while baking.
- Add the pan to the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes until slightly browned and cooked through. You can also add the crust to the freezer for about 1 hour for a no-bake option.
- Once the tart is out of the oven, place on a cooling rack and fill with any tart/pie filling. Enjoy!