Okay, so lets just say I went on a vegan curd making adventure and came out of it with not one….but TWO recipes to share! I’m honestly not sure if I ever truly loved normal curd (outside of using it in lemon bars), however, I can solidly say I LOVE vegan curd! First, I made a blood orange curd for these Vegan Blood Orange Curd Linzer Cookies. I loved them so much that I knew I had to make a vegan lemon curd too. The recipes do differ slightly because well…lemons are much more sour than oranges! Therefore, lemon curd requires a little more sugar to offset that tang. This Easy 5 Ingredient Vegan Lemon Curd is by far the best I’ve made and I know you won’t be able to stop eating it!
Ready for that Lemony Sunshine: Jump to Recipe
The Pantry Essentials:
Before we jump into the recipe, let me recommend a few pantry staples. These are the ingredients and pantry items that you will be able to use to make any vegan curd. Just swap out lemons for another fruit juice and you’ll be set to try out tons of flavors!
- Small saucepan for making the curd. This Cuisinart 1 Quarter Saucepan is the perfect size.
- A good Metal Whisk for whisking your curd while it’s cooking.
- A Citrus Juicer. Pro tip, roll the lemon around on the counter with your hand before juicing as this helps make juicing so much easier.
- Arrowroot Powder. This is the starch I use to thicken the curd. I like using arrowroot powder over cornstarch because it creates a clear gel and doesn’t break down when mixed with really acidic citrus fruits. While you technically *can* substitute cornstarch, I actually don’t recommend it.
- Coconut Cream– NOT milk, just the cream folks. If you do happen to only have canned coconut milk on hand, refrigerate it and just use the thick white cream on top.
- Vegan Butter. I love Miyoko’s or Earth Balance brand.
- Organic Sugar. Make sure to use organic if you truly care about it being vegan.
- Lemons- or any other fruit!
Making the Curd in…legit 10 minutes!
How crazy is it that vegan curd can be made in as little as 10 minutes?!
There are a few steps you definitely don’t want to skip for a perfectly smooth curd. Mainly, make sure to mix the arrowroot powder into the lemon juice and sugar before heating the mixture. If you add the arrowroot in later or don’t thoroughly whisk it before heating, it will form clumps that are impossible to get rid of.
Also, make sure to continue whisking while you’re cooking to prevent the curd from overcooking or cooking unevenly. The last step you don’t want to miss is to actually wait for the curd to set in the fridge overnight. I know 12-24 hours is a long time to wait, but time in the fridge truly does make it creamier and worth the wait!
This vegan lemon curd is AMAZING straight out of the jar. Better yet, add it to your breakfast yogurt or smoothie bowl and top it with a little of this Chai Spice Pecan Granola. While we’re on the topic of breakfast,. I highly suggest you also use it as a topping on these Vegan Lemon Spelt Pancakes. Maybe even make this recipe and use it as the filling in a beautiful lemon tart. Or you could swap it out for the apricot jam in these Vegan Crumble Bars for an extra delicious treat. The possibilities are endless and I can guarantee you will be wanting to add this curd to everything you eat. Enjoy!