I went on a vegan curd making adventure and came out of it with not one….but TWO recipes to share! I’m honestly not sure if I ever truly loved normal curd (outside of using it in lemon bars), however, I can solidly say I LOVE vegan curd!. This Easy 5 Ingredient Vegan Lemon Curd is by far the best I’ve made and I know you won’t be able to stop eating it.
How to Make an Easy Vegan Lemon Curd in 10 minutes
How crazy is it that vegan lemon curd can be made in as little as 10 minutes?!
First, I made a blood orange curd for these Vegan Blood Orange Curd Linzer Cookies. I loved them so much that I knew I had to make a vegan lemon curd too. The recipes do differ slightly because well…lemons are much sourer than oranges! Therefore, lemon curd requires a little more sugar to offset that tang
There are a few steps you definitely don’t want to skip for a perfectly smooth curd. Mainly, make sure to mix the arrowroot powder into the lemon juice and sugar before heating the mixture. If you add the arrowroot in later or don’t thoroughly whisk it before heating, it will form clumps that are impossible to get rid of.
Also, make sure to continue whisking while you’re cooking to prevent the curd from overcooking or cooking unevenly. The last step you don’t want to miss is to actually wait for the curd to set in the fridge overnight. I know 12-24 hours is a long time to wait, but time in the fridge truly does make it creamier and worth the wait!
Pantry Essentials To Make Vegan Lemon Curd at Home
These are the ingredients and pantry items that you will be able to use to make any vegan curd!
- A small saucepan for making the curd. This Cuisinart 1 Quarter Saucepan is the perfect size.
- A good Metal Whisk for whisking your curd while it’s cooking.
- A Citrus Juicer. Pro-tip, roll the lemon around on the counter with your hand before juicing as this helps make juicing so much easier.
- Arrowroot Powder. This is the starch I use to thicken the curd. I like using arrowroot powder over cornstarch because it creates a clear gel and doesn’t break down when mixed with really acidic citrus fruits. While you technically *can* substitute cornstarch, I actually don’t recommend it.
- Vegan Butter. I love Miyoko’s or Earth Balance brand.
- Coconut Cream– NOT milk, just the cream folks. If you do happen to only have canned coconut milk on hand, refrigerate it and just use the thick white cream on top.
- Organic Sugar. Make sure to use organic if you truly care about it being vegan.
- Last but not certainly not least- LEMONS!
What Do You Eat With Lemon Curd?
This vegan lemon curd is AMAZING straight out of the jar. Better yet, add it to your breakfast yogurt or smoothie bowl and top it with a little of this Chai Spice Pecan Granola. While we’re on the topic of breakfast, I highly suggest you also use it as a topping on these Vegan Lemon Spelt Pancakes. Maybe even make this recipe and use it as the filling in a beautiful lemon tart. The possibilities for vegan lemon desserts are endless and I can guarantee you will be wanting to add this curd to everything you eat. Enjoy!
If you are looking for more vegan lemon recipes, check out these SGTO favorites:Print
Only 5 ingredients are needed to make the perfect vegan lemon curd. For best results, let the curd set in the fridge overnight so it gets super thick and creamy.
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (not milk, just the cream)
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- Add your lemon juice, zest, and arrowroot powder to a small saucepan and whisk to combine.
- Place your saucepan over heat and whisk in the sugar and coconut cream. Continue whisking until the sugar has dissolved and the coconut cream melts.
- Cook the curd on low heat until thick, about 5-7 minutes. You will want to whisk the curd frequently while it is cooking so it cooks evenly. To tell if your curd is done, lift your whisk out of the saucepan. Once the curd is slowly dripping off, it is ready.
- Remove the curd from the heat and add in the 2 Tbsp of vegan butter. Whisk to combine and let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- Next, place the room temperature curd into a closed container. Put in the fridge to “set” for at least 2 hours, but ideally overnight for 12-24 hours.
- Take the curd out of the fridge the next morning and enjoy!
Keywords: vegan lemon curd, 5 ingredient lemon curd, recipes with lemon curd, easy lemon curd recipe, how to make lemon curd, eggless lemon curd, dairy free lemon curd