Looking for an easy, yet decadent, chocolate dessert recipe to enjoy this holiday season? These Vegan Salted Dark Chocolate Tarts are no-bake, gluten-free, and SO delicious too! The most important part of getting these vegan chocolate ganache tarts right is using high-quality vegan chocolate and, of course, adding some extra flaky sea salt to top these tarts. I can’t wait for you to make this healthier dessert all season long!
How to make vegan chocolate tarts
Make the Gluten-Free Tart Shell
This easy gluten-free chocolate tart crust is seriously so easy to make because it only contains 4 ingredients and there is no baking required! Simply melt the chocolate and coconut oil, mix it with the almond flour, then press it into the tart pans to set in the freezer. Please note, you only want to add the 1/4 tsp of salt to the crust if you are using unsalted chocolate.
Can I substitute Almond Flour for other flours?
For a 1:1 substitute, use other nut flours such as cashew or macadamia. I have not tried this recipe with other gluten-free flours such as coconut flour, cassava flour, or even with standard wheat flour. If you try any of these flours in this recipe, please let me know in the comments below as I’d love to hear what works!
What Tart Pan Works Best?
For this recipe, I used two 4-inch non-stick mini tart pans. I love these mini tart pans because they have a removable bottom which makes it super easy to pop out the frozen tarts. If you prefer to make a larger tart, one 9-inch tart pan would also work for this recipe, though the time in the freezer might slightly increase.
Can I bake the tart crust?
Fun fact- but yes you can actually bake this crust too! If you want a sturdier crust or just prefer the flavor of a baked crust I actually baked this crust in a test and it tastes delicious. If you do bake the crust, I don’t recommend pushing the tart dough all the way up the sides as it may slump down. All you need to do is bake it at 350F for about 10-12 minutes to firm up. Remove from the oven & let cool before filling with chocolate ganache.
Make the chocolate ganache
While the tart crust is in the freezer, make the ganache! The vegan chocolate ganache used in this recipe contains only five ingredients: Lily’s Dark Chocolate, Full-Fat Coconut Milk, Coconut Oil, Vanilla Extract, and Maple Syrup. Though I don’t want to say these tarts are entirely healthy, they are a HEALTHIER dessert option!
I decided to add maple syrup to this tart for a sweeter ganache. If you prefer a ganache with less sugar it is totally optional and still delicious without the maple syrup added. Part of the reason I used maple syrup is that I used super dark chocolate. A lighter chocolate might already be sweet enough without maple syrup added in.
Also- make sure to use full-fat coconut milk so that the ganache actually firms up in the freezer while staying creamy! Lower fat coconut milk will become too icy (due to more water) and won’t have the right texture.
To make the chocolate ganache, just heat the ingredients over low heat until melted together. Then pour them into the tart shell filled with the hardened almond chocolate crust.
Freeze & top with flaky salt
Since these vegan chocolate tarts are a no-bake dessert, all they require is more freezing time once the tart is filled with the ganache. To make a no-bake chocolate tart, I let the tarts sit in the freezer for 1-2 hours until the ganache firms. They can also set in the fridge, but it may take 2-3 hours or more to completely firm up.
When the mini chocolate tarts are ready to be eaten, remove from the freezer/fridge and sprinkle with flaky sea salt. My favorite is Maldon Sea Salt– it tastes amazing and looks gorgeous too. Just look at that creamy ganache texture with the flaky sea salt on top- YUM!
How Do I Store The Chocolate Tarts?
These tarts store perfectly in the fridge or in the freezer. In the fridge, they will keep up to 4-7 days and in the freezer, they will keep for 1 month. If you make multiple tarts, just make sure to store in a closed container between sheets of parchment paper so they don’t stick together.
If you are looking for an easy eggless dark chocolate ganache tart made without cream and requiring no baking time- then these Mini Salted Dark Chocolate Tarts are the perfect recipe! This mini tart recipe also happens to make the perfect vegan Valentine’s dessert recipe for two. I can’t wait for you to make this delicious vegan chocolate dessert!
Looking for more delicious Vegan Chocolate Dessert Recipes? Check out these SGTO favorites!
Gluten-Free Chocolate Crust:
- 2.8-3 oz dark chocolate (I used 1 Lily's Sea Salt Extra Dark Chocolate Bar)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tsp salt (only needed if the chocoalte isn't sea salt flavored)
Chocolate Ganache Filling:
- 5.6-6 oz dark chocolate ( I used 2 Lily's Sea Salt Extra Dark Chocolate Bars)
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (optional)
- First make the gluten-free crust. Melt the chocolate and coconut oil and mix with the almond flour until a thick dough forms. Since the chocolate is warm, the dough will still be semi-sticky. Split the dough in half and gently press into the two tart pans. Place the pans into the freezer for 10-15 minutes to set.
- While the crust is freezing, make the chocolate ganache. Add the chocolate, coconut milk, coconut oil, and vanilla extract to a small saucepan and melt together over low heat. Watch carefully so the chocolate doesn't burn and stir constantly while the chocolate is melting. As a last step, add in the optional maple syrup and whisk in.
- Take the tart pans out of the freezer and fill with the chocolate ganache. Place the tarts back in the freezer for 1-2 hours until the chocolate ganache sets and hardens.
- Once the tarts are set, remove from the freezer and sprinkle with the flaky sea salt. Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1/2 tart
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 652Total Fat: 57gCarbohydrates: 44gSugar: 15gProtein: 9g