I seriously cannot wait for you all to try these absolutely delicious Vegan Orange & Raspberry Jam Muffins! There are a lot of muffin recipes out there that are a bit too dense or too sugary, so making a perfectly fluffy muffin with tons of flavor was no easy task. However, these muffins do not disappoint! Top these muffins with candied oranges and fresh raspberries to make these muffins extra fun.
Why Raspberry Jam Makes the BEST Vegan Muffin
So you might be wondering- why jam-filled muffins? I originally tried this recipe with fresh berries and was not a fan! They actually had a really good texture and were perfectly moist, but the berries themselves shrunk and therefore the muffins were left with huge holes in them.
Switching to jam completely eliminated this problem! However, once I brought a more sugary jam into the picture, I needed to add a little tang to the mix. Adding in some fresh-squeezed orange juice and zest was the perfect touch!
Tips to Make Vegan Orange Raspberry Jam Muffins
Tip 1: Gently Fold the Raspberry Jam Into the Batter
One really important step you don’t want to miss when making these muffins is to VERY gently fold in the jam.
Seriously, you really want thick swirls and don’t want the jam to be perfectly mixed into the batter. Whenever I fold in any ingredient, I always use a rubber spatula. I imagine if you don’t have that on hand a large wooden spoon might do the trick, but please no whisks or forks or you will ruin the swirly jammy goodness of these muffins!
Tip 2: Baking Powder, NOT Baking Soda Works Best
Only stick to baking powder when making these muffins or you might end up with green muffins! Fun fact, but the pigments in raspberries are very sensitive to pH and, when mixed with baking soda or another alkaline, they will turn your batter green.
Also, you’ll want to make sure to avoid baking powder with any aluminum in it or you’ll have the same problem. Choose an aluminum-free baking powder for this recipe!
How to Decorate the Muffins with Candied Oranges
Truth be told the Candied Oranges I used in these pictures were bought from Trader Joe’s! They have awesome candied oranges and candied lemons. However, if you don’t have access to Trader Joe’s, you can follow this tutorial on how to make candied oranges at home!
In other news, I just got back from London and am officially scheming up more recipes I can make for some “tea-time”. Dare I say these Vegan Orange & Raspberry Jam Muffins may be the perfect fit with a cup of tea? I think YES!
Looking for more Vegan Fruit-Filled Dessert Recipes? Check out These SGTO favorites:Print
Delicious and fluffy Vegan Orange Muffins filled with swirls of raspberry jam!
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (or other milk alternative)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fresh orange juice ((juice from about 1/2 navel orange))
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste/extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup raspberry jam
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl add in your nut milk, apple cider vinegar, orange juice, and orange zest and let sit 5-10 minutes until curdled.
- Next, add in your vanilla bean paste/extract and coconut oil and mix until combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl sift together your flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add this dry mixture to the wet mixture and whisk to combine into a thick batter.
- Take your raspberry jam and very gently fold it into the muffin batter using a spatula or wooden spoon. Do not over-mix as large swirls of jam are desired!
- Spray muffin liners and fill until they are about 3/4 of the way filled with batter. Top your muffins with additional sugar (optional) and bake for 28-32 minutes until the tops are beginning to brown and center is cooked through but still moist. Remove from the oven and let cool. Enjoy!
Keywords: vegan raspberry muffins, vegan orange muffins, raspberry jam muffins, vegan orange raspberry muffins, raspberry muffins without eggs, raspberry orange muffins, how to make vegan muffins