These one-pot Creamy Lemon Garlic Butter Beans are best served with a slice of buttery toast for a truly delicious dish. The best part? This butter bean recipe can be whipped up in just 20 minutes for a quick & delicious vegan & gluten-free meal.
I recently discovered the magic of creamy butter beans on TikTok and knew I had to create my own recipe to share with you.
With just 20 minutes of time & 10 ingredients required, this protein-packed meal couldn't be easier to make. It's perfect for those nights you need something quick, delicious, & still relatively healthy for dinner!
Ingredient & substitution notes:
- Butter Beans: the dish really works best with these beans as they are thick and flat. However, you can substitute for lima beans or cannellini beans.
- Just make sure to use canned beans as you need the bean liquid to make this dish extra creamy!
- Vegan cream cheese: This gives this dish a lot of flavors and makes it super creamy. I used Violife cream cheese but Kitehill is another great dairy-free cream cheese.
- Spinach: Adds a boost of greens to this dish! It can be replaced with kale or chard for a twist.
- Lemon juice & zest: MUST be fresh to give this dish the best flavor!
How to make creamy butter beans
First, finely chop the shallot and mince the garlic. I actually like to use a garlic press here to cut down on prep work.
Then, melt the vegan butter in a pan. I recommend using a Le Creuset Dutch oven or Chefs oven for the best results.
Add in the shallots & garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
Next, add the can of butter beans with their cooking liquid. The bean juice or "aquafaba" makes this dish super creamy so don't strain it! Cook the beans with the shallots and garlic for about 5 minutes.
This cooking time helps to evaporate some of the juice and cook down the beans.
Then, add in the lemon juice, lemon zest, and vegan cream cheese. Stir together until the cream cheese is fully mixed in.
Once mixed, continue cooking everything together at a simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
As a final step, turn off the heat and add the spinach. Stir together until the spinach has wilted and then season the dish with salt & freshly cracked pepper to your liking.
You can enjoy this dish right out of the pan, but it's honestly amazing served with a big slice of toasted sourdough or spelt bread.
Just dunk the bread into the pot to scoop up some beans and enjoy!
FAQ & Tips:
What can I serve these creamy butter beans with?
I love serving lemon garlic butter beans with a slice of toasted sourdough bread or toasted spelt bread.
These butter beans also can be served over rice or creamy caramelized onion mashed potatoes for a heartier meal.
Lastly, they go great as a side dish for the Holidays! Add them to your Thanksgiving spread or Christmas dinner for something unique, creamy, & delicious.
How do I store lemon garlic beans?
These creamy beans are best enjoyed right after making. However, they can be stored in a closed container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 1 month.
Keep in mind that the creamy broth will solidify in the fridge/freezer, so you'll need to reheat them to enjoy. To reheat, microwave or cook over low heat on the stovetop until warmed throughout.
I can't wait for you to try these Creamy Lemon Garlic Butter Beans. With just 9 ingredients and 20 minutes required, they couldn't be easier to make as a quick & delicious protein-packed meal. Enjoy!
More easy vegan meal ideas you will love (with beans!)
If you loved this recipe, please leave a 5-star review on the recipe card. I always appreciate your feedback and support! You can also follow along on my Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Pinterest, or sign up for our newsletter!
Creamy Lemon Garlic Butter Beans
- 3 Tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 small shallots diced, or 1 large
- 4-5 cloves garlic finely minced
- 30 ounces canned butter beans 2 cans with the liquid added to the pot- do not strain!
- ¼ cup vegan cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ Tablespoon lemon zest zest of 1 lemon
- 3 cups spinach
- salt & pepper to taste add salt as desired, but I recommend at least ½ teaspoon pepper
- To prep, finely dice the shallots and mince the garlic. I recommend using a garlic press if you have it.
- Next, add the vegan butter to a large pot and melt over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted and sizzling, add in the shallots and garlic. Stir together and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add the two cans of butter beans including the liquid from the cans. This makes the beans really creamy, so do not strain them. Stir together and bring the beans to a simmer. Once simmering, cook for about 5 minutes to reduce some of the liquid and cook the beans.
- Next, add the vegan cream cheese, lemon juice, and lemon zest to the pot. Stir until mixed. Then, bring the pot of beans back to a simmer. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add in the spinach. Stir together until the spinach has wilted. Then, season with salt & pepper to your liking and remove from the heat.
- Serve while warm with a big slice of toasted bread. Enjoy!
- I recommend serving these beans with toasted sourdough bread or spelt bread.
- These creamy beans are best enjoyed right after making. However, they can be stored in a closed container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 1 month.
- Keep in mind that the creamy broth will solidify in the fridge/freezer, so you'll need to reheat them to enjoy. To reheat, microwave or cook over low heat on the stovetop until warmed throughout.
This recipe is SO DELICIOUS! It’s super quick to make and extremely affordable and is not lacking in flavor either. This is definitely going to become a regular recipe that I made! As I was eating it I called my mom to tell her how good it was if that gives you an idea about how much I liked it haha
Love this thanks for the review!! 🙂