Vegan Polenta with Balsamic Roasted Vegetables & Chickpeas makes the absolute best weeknight dinner recipe! The balsamic marinade gives these veggies a sweet flavor that pairs perfectly with creamy & savory vegan polenta.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Earthbound Farm. The opinions and text are all my own. Thank you so much for your support!
It's that time of year where we are all craving cozy comfort food. However, that doesn't mean it can't be healthy AND delicious.
Enter in- Earthbound Farm Organic Vegetable Medley which are PERFECT for roasting and adding to any recipe. With a mix of broccoli, cauliflower, and baby carrots- they are packed with nutrients and organic.
Plus, I love that I can always expect the highest quality when I purchase any vegetables or greens from Earthbound Farm. Not to mention, the veggies are pre-cut and pre-washed so all you have to do is add them to a baking tray, add on the balsamic marinade, and bake!
To complete this dish I decided to pair the veggies with chickpeas (for a little extra protein) and a recipe for creamy dairy-free polenta. YUM!
How to make balsamic roasted vegetables
The first step is to roast the veggies & chickpeas in a balsamic marinade.
- 2 packages of Earthbound Farm Organic Vegetable Medley
- 1 can chickpeas (strained, rinsed, and dried completely)
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Oil (I used avocado oil as it is great for roasting)
- Maple syrup
- Garlic powder
- Salt & pepper
Since the veggies are all pre-cut, we save a ton of time by adding them directly to the tray along with the chickpeas and then coating them with the balsamic marinade. Also, I do like to whisking together the balsamic marinade ingredients in a separate bowl before adding it to the tray so it gets evenly distributed.
Then, mix everything together with your hands (or a spoon) until all the veggies and chickpeas are evenly coated.
Bake the veggies & chickpeas at 375F for 25-30 minutes until crispy and cooked through!
How to cook vegan polenta
While the veggies are roasting, make the polenta.
- Vegetable broth (can be subbed for water, but will be less flavorful)
- Vegan butter (could sub for coconut milk or a non-dairy milk to make this polenta lighter)
- Nutritional yeast
- Garlic powder
- Italian spices
- Salt & pepper
Tips to cook polenta
When it comes to polenta, there are a few tips & tricks to make this recipe creamy every time!
- First bring the broth to a boil.
- Then, turn down the heat & gradually stir in ¼ cup polenta, making sure to stir while adding.
- Add in the remaining polenta ¼ cup at a time, continuing to stir the entire time you are adding polenta.
Adding the polenta gradually & continually stirring helps prevent the polenta from clumping up!
Continue cooking the polenta another 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, until the polenta starts to thicken. Then, cover and cook another 10 minutes until thick, stirring every few minutes.
Keep in mind, some polenta brands do take longer to cook (I've seen some up to an hour!), so always follow the recommended cooking time on package instructions. If your polenta thickens too much, just add in a little extra broth or even some plant-based milk.
Remove the lid and add in the vegan butter, nutritional yeast, and spices. Finish by stirring together until nice and creamy.
To finish, plate the polenta with roasted vegetables and chickpeas on top. If you would like, you can even add a little drizzle of extra balsamic or some fresh parsley on top!
FAQ & Substitutions:
Of course! Just keep in mind, roasting times vary based on the veggies. While the Earthbound Farm Organic Vegetable Medley bags can all be roasted together, if you add additional vegetables you may need to adjust cooking time for them.
If you've ever gone shopping for polenta, there are a lot of options out there. The first option is a block of already cooked polenta. Avoid that for this recipe.
The other two choices are consistent grind or stone-grind polenta/cornmeal. If you are newer to cooking polenta, definitely look for a consistent grind as it will cook up more uniform and evenly. Keep in mind, the cooking time of polenta varies based on what you use, so always try to follow the cooking guidelines on timing!
Leftover polenta and veggies can be stored in a closed container in the fridge for 3-5 days. This dish does not freeze well.
My polenta got clumpy: This is usually due to not adding the polenta in gradually. Also, you really need to stir the ENTIRE time you are adding polenta into the pot. This is why I like to add the polenta ¼ cup at a time. It prevents me from adding too much at a time and helps me consistently stir.
My polenta is not thickening: This can be due to two things. The first is not adding enough broth/water to the dish as you need enough for all the cornmeal to soak it up and before thick and creamy. The second is from not cooking the polenta long enough. If you are in doubt or your polenta is still gritty, just add in more broth and cook the polenta a little longer!
I hope you love these Vegan Polenta Bowls with Roasted Balsamic Veggies & Chickpeas! Thanks to Earthbound Farm Organic Vegetable Medley bags cooking delicious veggies at home couldn't be easier. Enjoy this healthier vegan comfort food!
Looking for more healthy comfort food dinner ideas? Check out these SGTO favorites!
Balsamic Roasted Veggies & Chickpeas
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas (about 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas)
- 2 packages Earthbound Farm Organic Vegetable Medley
- ⅓ cup (78 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp (44 ml) oil (I prefer avocado oil for roasting)
- 2 Tbsp (40 grams) maple syrup
- 1 tsp (4 grams) garlic powder
- ½ tsp(3 grams) salt
- ¼ tsp (.5 grams) ground pepper
- 3 cups (709 ml) vegetable broth (or water)
- ½ tsp (3 grams) salt
- ¾ cup (120 grams) polenta (cornmeal)
- ¼ cup (57 grams) vegan butter
- 2 Tbsp (12 grams) nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp (4 grams) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (1 gram) Italian spices (can sub with dried parsley or basil)
- Salt & pepper to taste (if needed)
- Balsamic Vinegar (optional, to drizzle on top)
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Strain, rinse, and dry the chickpeas completely.
- Add the chopped vegetables and chickpeas to a baking pan.
- Then, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, oil, maple syrup, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Pour the balsamic marinade on top of the tray of veggies & chickpeas and mix together until evenly coated.
- Then, add the tray to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the chickpeas and beginning to crisp and the veggies are caramelized. Make sure to remove the tray and stir the veggies & chickpeas at the 15 minute mark so they bake evenly.
- While the veggies & chickpeas are roasting, make the vegan polenta.
- Add 3 cups broth (or water) and ½ tsp salt to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and gradually add in the polenta ¼ cup at a time. For the best results, stream the polenta in gradually and stir continuously while adding it to the pot.
- Cook the polenta uncovered for 1-2 minutes, stirring consistently. Then, cover the saucepan and cook another 5-10 minutes(*or until cooked depending on the package instructions). If the polenta gets too thick before it is done cooking, add in a few Tbsp of veggie broth to help it thin out.
- Remove the cooked polenta from the heat and add it to 3-4 bowls. Top with the roasted veggies & chickpeas and serve. If desired, add on an extra drizzle of balsamic vinegar to the finished dish. Enjoy!
- Please see blog post for polenta cooking help
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in a closed container for 3-5 days. This dish does not freeze well due to the polenta.
- Polenta can be subbed with rice, pasta, or any grain for a delicious roasted veggie bowl!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 355Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 7mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 9gSugar: 26gProtein: 14g
ShortGirlTallOrder occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although shortgirltallorder.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.