This Roasted Potato Lentil Salad is packed with hearty lentils, crisp veggies, & roasted spiced potatoes. It is great to enjoy warm or cold and makes the perfect vegan & gluten-free lunch or dinner.
This lentil salad has been on repeat lately and I'm not mad about it! I recently discovered the glory of sprouted lentils which are easier to digest and take less time to cook.
When paired with warm spiced potatoes, crunchy veggies, & a lemon dijon dressing- it's a match meant to be!
Ingredient & substitution notes:
- Sprouted lentils: To speed up cooking time I used TrueRoots Sprouted Lentil mix which I HIGHLY recommend. I love the texture of the different-sized lentils; they hold their shape when cooked, which is essential for this salad.
- They can be substituted for green, brown, or black lentils. Red lentils won't work in this salad as they get too mushy when cooked.
- Dijon Mustard: I like to use grey poupon dijon mustard for the best flavor! I don't recommend substituting for yellow mustard- it really has to be dijon.
- Potatoes: For this recipe, I used russet potatoes and diced them. However, any potato works! Just remember that cooking time may vary based on the potato you use.
- Lacinato Kale: Also known as Tuscan Kale or Cavolo Nero, this kale really adds a nice crunch to this salad! You can substitute for a different kale variety, but it will change the intended texture of the salad.
- Radicchio: Has a bitter and spicy taste. I love it in this recipe, but if you aren't a fan of its bitter flavor, you can substitute it for mild red cabbage.
How to make lentil potato salad
Season & roast the potatoes
Cut the potatoes into evenly-sized pieces. Then, add to a tray and coat with the avocado oil and spices.
Don't skimp on the oil here as that is my #1 tip for extra crispy potatoes.
Then, add to the oven to roast for 30-40 minutes. Once they are cooked through, broil them for an additional 2 minutes so they get nice and crispy on the outside.
Cook lentils, & prep veggies
While the potatoes are roasting, cook the lentils and prep the veggies.
Since we are using sprouted lentils, they only take about 10 minutes total to cook. First, boil vegetable broth and then pour in the lentils. Cook for 5 minutes at a simmer and then turn off the heat. Let the lentils soak another 1-2 minutes before straining.
While the lentils are cooking, prep the veggies. Thinly slice the shallot, chop the kale, and chop the radicchio.
Make dressing & assemble salad
Add the kale, radicchio, and shallot to a bowl. Then, immediately top with the warm lentils. This helps to slightly "cook" the kale and makes it easier to eat.
Then, make the dressing by mixing together the olive oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt, and fresh dill. Pour this over the lentil kale salad and let it sit and marinate until the potatoes are done.
Add lentil salad to potatoes & mix
Remove the warm roasted potatoes from the oven and immediately pour the lentil kale salad on top.
This is one of my favorite tricks for this salad. It helps to cook and warm the kale and radicchio and also allows you to really get the most out of the potato seasoning.
Serve warm & enjoy!
Mix everything together directly on the tray. Then, get ready to serve this delicious roasted potato salad!
I recommend topping each salad with lemon zest and extra fresh dill for even more flavor.
How do I store this potato lentil salad?
This salad is truly best enjoyed right after making it while still warm. Leftovers can be stored in a closed container in the fridge for 3-4 days. I recommend eating leftovers cold rather than reheating them- it's still very delicious!
This warm potato salad cannot be frozen.
I can't wait for you to try this hearty & healthy Roasted Potato Lentil Salad. With protein-packed lentils, a lemon dijon dressing, warm spiced potatoes, & crispy veggies- it is truly a comforting & nourishing meal. Enjoy!
More lentil recipes you will love:
If you loved this recipe, please leave a 5-star review on the recipe card. I always appreciate your feedback and support! You can also follow along on my Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Pinterest, or sign up for our newsletter!
Roasted Potato Lentil Kale Salad
- 22 ounces Russet potatoes diced
- 3 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth *this will vary based on lentil variety
- 1 cup dried sprouted lentils
- 3 cups chopped lacinato kale
- 1 cup radicchio sliced
- 1 large shallot thinly sliced
- 2.5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon fresh dill more to top salads
- ½ teaspoon salt
- lemon zest as garnish
Roast the Potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 400F and dice the potatoes into evenly sizes pieces. Then, add them to a tray and coat them with avocado oil, salt, dried parsley, garlic powder, paprika, & ground pepper.
- Use your hands or a spatula to mix the potatoes with the seasoning until they are evenly coated. Then, add to the oven to roast for 30-40 minutes (cooking time will vary on the size of your potatoes.) I recommend removing the potatoes at the 15-minute mark to stir with a spatula.
- Once the potatoes are cooked through, change your oven to a broil setting & broil the potatoes for an additional 2 minutes so they get crispy on the outside.
Cook the lentils, chop the veggies, & make the dressing:
- While the potatoes are roasting, cook the lentils, prep the veggies, & make the dressing.
- To cook the lentils, start by bringing the vegetable broth to a boil. Once boiling, add in the lentils and cook according to package instructions. If using the sprouted lentil mix I did, the lentils only need to cook for about 5 minutes.
- While the lentils are cooking, chop the lacinato kale, slice the radicchio, and thinly slice the shallot. Then, add to a large mixing bowl.
- Strain the cooked lentils and immediately add them to the bowl of vegetables while warm.
- Then, make the dressing by adding the olive oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard, fresh dill, and salt to a glass and mixing together. Pour over the bowl of lentil kale salad and mix together. Let marinate until the potatoes are roasted.
Assemble the salads
- Remove the roasted potatoes from the oven and immediately pour the lentil kale salad on top. Use a spatula to mix everything together.
- Serve the salads with fresh lemon zest and fresh dill on top. Then, enjoy while warm!
- See the blog post for substitution ideas & more recipe tips.
- This salad is truly best enjoyed right after making it while still warm.
- Leftovers can be stored in a closed container in the fridge for 3-4 days. I recommend eating leftovers cold rather than reheating them- it's still very delicious!
- I do not recommend freezing this salad.
- Recipe inspired by @bouroughchef