Get ready to bake the best ooey-gooey Vegan Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls made with Red Star Platinum Instant Sourdough Yeast. So delicious & perfectly sweet!
- 3/4 cup warm oat milk (*or any milk alternative (almond, soy, etc))
- 1 18 g packet Red Star Platinum Instant Sourdough Yeast (*can be substituted with 7g of normal yeast)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (*113g melted)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract/ vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 cup organic sugar
- 2 3/4– 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
Cinnamon Sugar Filling
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (*113g room temperature)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
Vanilla Bean Glaze
- 1 1/3 cup organic powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 Tbsp oat milk (*or any milk alternative (almond, soy, etc))
Making the Sourdough
- Begin by adding the warmed oat milk and platinum instant sourdough yeast packet to a large bowl & stir. Let sit 5-10 minutes until bubbles form to be sure the yeast is active and working.
- Next, add the sugar, melted vegan butter , & vanilla extract to the mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Then, slowly add in the flour and salt until a dough forms. Once the dough has formed, use the dough hook to knead the dough for 5-10 minutes or take the dough from your bowl and knead by hand on a well-floured surface for 10+ minutes until stretchy and elastic. When the dough can be stretched without tearing easily, it is ready. Start with 2 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour and if the dough is too sticky add up to 3 cups of all-purpose flour.
- Lightly coat a large bowl with oil, form your dough into a ball, and add to the bowl. Brush oil onto the top of the dough ball so it does not dry out. Cover and let rise 1-1.5 hours until the dough has doubled in size. You will know the dough is done when you can push your finger into the dough and the dough does not spring back immediately.
Making The Filling
- Add the vegan butter (room temperature or cold), brown sugar, and ground cinnamon to a bowl and beat to combine into a thick paste. Set aside.
Roll, Fill, & Slice The Dough
- Once your dough has doubled in size, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. You will need to lightly flour the rolling pin too so the dough doesn’t stick. Roll the dough into a rectangle that is 1/4-1/2 inch thick in height.
- After the dough is rolled out, use a spatula to spread the cinnamon sugar filling evenly across the dough. Make sure to leave a 1/4 inch border around the edges of the dough without filling.
- Beginning with the longer side of the rectangle, tightly roll up the dough into a log. Lightly flour the dough as you go to help if it gets a bit sticky. Make sure to seal the roll by pinching the edges together. Then, flip the dough over so the pinched seal is facing down.
- Once the dough is rolled into a log, trim the ends and discard. Cut the remaining dough into 10 evenly sized rolls using a very sharp knife. Place into an 11-inch skillet or cake pan lined with parchment paper and cover with plastic wrap. Place the dough in a wam place to rise 1 hour. (You can also let the dough rise overnight in the fridge and bake in the morning).
Baking The Buns
- Preheat the Oven to 350F.
- Once the oven is preheated, bake the buns for 30-35 minutes or until cooked through. Remove the buns from the oven and let cool. While the buns are cooling, make your vanilla bean glaze!
Making the Vanilla Bean Glaze!
- Add the oat milk and vanilla bean paste to a bowl and mix. Gradually add in the powdered sugar and whisk until a thick but smooth glaze has formed. If you want a thinner glaze, you can add more milk, however, a thick glaze works best.
- Pour the glaze over the warm buns and serve immediately. Enjoy!
*Please note the cooked buns will keep in the fridge up to 5 days and in the freezer up to 1 month but will need to be reheated for optimal taste. You can microwave them, but I recommend turning your oven to 200F and heating 10-15 minutes to warm the buns if you have time*
*If you are storing buns in the freezer or fridge, do not glaze until you are ready to eat or they will get soggy
Keywords: vegan cinnamon rolls, sourdough cinnamon rolls, cinnamon roll recipe, homemade cinnamon rolls, easy cinnamon rolls, vegan cinnamon buns, cinnamon buns, sourdough cinnamon buns, sourdough cinnamon rolls