This creamy soup starts with roasted red pepper, tomatoes, and lemon that get blended with quinoa and coconut milk. Simmer the soup on the stove for 10 minutes to get a piping hot, delicious, and filling Vegan Roasted Red Pepper, Tomato, & Quinoa Soup!
Roasted Red Peppers & Tomatoes
- 8 cups chopped tomatoes (*I like using a mix of 6 cups roma tomatoes cut into quarters and 2 cups cherry tomatoes left whole)
- 2 red peppers (*cut into slices)
- 1/2 lemon (*for juice)
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning (*mix of basil, oregano, marjoram)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & peper to taste
- 1/2 cup dried quinoa
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- chives (*optional as topping)
- fresh basil (*optional as topping)
- toasted pine nuts (*optional as topping)
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- First, roast the vegetables. Take the chopped tomatoes and sliced red peppers and add them to a greased baking tray. Toss with the oil and spices until evenly coated. Then, add 1/2 lemon to the baking tray so that it is face up.
- Bake the vegetables for 35-40 minutes until cooked and beginning to caramelize. Remove from the oven and let cool. While the vegetables are cooling, make your quinoa by adding 1/2 cup quinoa and 1 cup of your vegetable broth to a large pot and cooking for about 15 minutes, stirring as needed.
- Once the quinoa is cooked and the vegetables are slightly cooled, add them to your blender along with the canned coconut milk and the juice from the roasted lemon. Blend for 3-5 minutes until completely mixed and the quinoa is broken down. Then, add the mixture to a large pot and stir in the additional 1 cup of vegetable broth.
- Bring the soup to a boil, stir, and then turn down the heat. Simmer the soup for an additional 10 minutes to thicken.
- Remove from stove and enjoy! For extra tasty soup, I recommend adding chopped chives, fresh basil, and toasted pine nuts to the top of your soup.
*Soup can be refrigerated and is best enjoyed within 3-5 days. If freezing, the soup will keep up to 2 months*