Vegan Lemon Scones topped with the BEST Candied lemon slices and a delicious lemon glaze. Get ready to WOW your guests with these vegan scones!
Candied Lemons & Lemon Infused Syrup
- 1 large lemon (( or 2 small))
- 1 c sugar (*plus more for rolling dried lemons in)
- 1 c water
- 1 Tbsp coconut milk
- 2 1/2 cups pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest (use leftover zest from candied lemons)
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 c coconut oil (frozen/chilled)
- 2 tsp vanilla extra/ vanilla bean paste
- 3 Tbsp lemon infused syrup (or an additional 3 Tbsp coconut milk with 1 tsp of lemon zest)
- 1 Tbsp lemon infused syrup (or 1 Tbsp coconut milk & 1 tsp lemon zest)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (more for a thicker glaze)
- 1 Tbsp coconut milk
- Begin by peeling & finely chopping the outer layer of your lemon or zesting the entire lemon. Save the chopped peels/zest as it will be used in the scones later. Once the rind is removed, cut into thin 1/2 inch slices, discarding the lemon ends.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. While you are waiting for the water to boil, create an ice bath (equal parts ice and cold water in a bowl) and set aside. Once the water is boiling, add in your lemon slices to boil for 1 minutes, then transfer immediately to the ice bath. You don’t want to actually “cook” the lemons, but this will blanch them and create a more pleasant lemon taste.
- In a separate flat pan combine 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar and bring to a simmer until the sugar has completely dissolved. Next, add in the lemons and simmer for about 30 minutes, flipping occasionally until translucent. Once the lemons are done cooking, add them to a drying rack or a sheet of parchment paper to dry for 12-24 hours.
- Scoop out 3 Tbsp of the lemon-infused syrup and mix it with 1 Tbsp coconut milk while warm. Set this mixture aside to use in the scope recipe and lemon glaze.
Lemon Infused Scones
- Begin by placing the coconut oil into a small bowl and place in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to harden.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and lemon zest together. Take your frozen coconut oil out of the fridge and grate it into the dry mixture to combine (large chunks also are okay). Once grated into the bowl, used a pastry cutter or similar tool to “cut” the coconut oil into the dough.
- In a separate bowl combine the coconut milk, lemon infused glaze made from the candied lemons, and vanilla extract/paste. Next, add this mixture into the dry mixture using the pastry cutter or a fork and mix until a shaggy dough forms. If the dough is too “wet”, add 1-2 Tbsp more flour, if the dough is too dry, add 1-2 Tbsp more coconut milk.
- Once combined, place the mixture onto a flat baking tray and form into a flat circle. Place into the freezer for 10-15 minutes and preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the oven is preheated, remove the tray from the fridge and cut into 8 even triangles. Separate the triangles onto the baking sheet. Bake for 14-18 minutes until the scones are cooked in the center and beginning to brown on top.
- Remove the scones from the oven and let cool. While the scones are cooling, make the lemon glaze by mixing 1 Tbsp of the candied lemon syrup, powdered sugar, and 1 Tbsp coconut milk together. Whisk until a thin glaze forms. Add more powdered sugar if you want a thicker glaze and more coconut milk if you want a thinner glaze.
- Pour the glaze onto the scones and top with candied lemons!
*Note: Makethe candied lemons 24 hours ahead of when you would like to make the scones if you’d like to have the glaze and candied lemons on top. Candied Lemons need about 12-24 hours to dry.
Keywords: candied lemon scones, lemon scones, vegan lemon scones, lemon desserts, vegan lemon desserts