Putting espresso into baked goods is such a win in my book. Plus, it means you can skip that early morning coffee and count these decadent Vegan Espresso Vanilla Scones as your energy boost for the day. Let’s be honest, if you’re anything like me you’ll be eating these espresso vanilla scones in the morning paired with a fabulous iced mint latte or cold brew.
How to Make Vegan Scones with Espresso & Vanilla
First- Make Espresso Vanilla Bean Infused Sugar
So the idea for these scones came in two parts. First, ever since I made my vegan lemon scones a few months back I’ve been dying to see if I could create another epic scone recipe. Second, as a fun experiment, I blended some sugar with ground espresso and vanilla bean paste to create another infused sugar combo. The result was fabulous, so I knew I needed to incorporate this sugar into a delicious baked good ASAP!
Add Frozen Coconut Oil For Flaky Vegan Scones
For these espresso vanilla scones, I used a method of grating frozen coconut oil into my dry ingredients. While this method is a serious arm workout, it really leads to the best consistency and makes your scones the perfect amount of flaky.
Pastry Flour Leads to Amazing Scone Texture
Pastry Flour has less protein than all-purpose flour and therefore gives baked goods this absolutely amazing light texture. The only pastry flour I ever bake pastries is Bob’s Red Mill Fine White Pastry Flour. Seriously, it makes everything taste so good!
How to Make Homemade 4-Ingredient Vegan White Chocolate
After I perfected these scones I knew a glaze would make them even better so I got to work recipe testing a fun espresso glaze. While great in theory, I had all kinds of epic fails trying to make a glaze to top these scones.
That’s when I thought of a great idea- these scones would taste amazing with white chocolate on top. Unfortunately, finding vegan white chocolate in a grocery store is near impossible. So I made my own recipe for you all to follow in the recipe below!
To get you started here are the ingredients I used to make this simple and easy vegan white chocolate glaze:
- Wild Foods Cococa Butter (this is the main ingredient in chocolate!)
- Artisana Organics Cashew Butter (Adds great flavor and creaminess!)
- Heilala Vanilla Bean Paste
- Organic Powdered Sugar (make sure to buy organic or it’s likely not vegan)
I truly hope you enjoy these flaky and moist Vegan Espresso Vanilla Bean Scones!
Looking for more Vegan Recipes on SGTO? Check out These Fan Favorites:Print
Vegan Espesso Vanilla Bean Scones topped with a homemade vegan white chocolate glaze. So delicius with a perfect caffeine kick!
Espresso Vanilla Bean Infused Sugar
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1 Tbsp finely ground espresso
- 1 tsp pure vanilla bean powder (or seeds of 1 fresh vanilla pod (do not substitute a vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste with alcohol in it)
- 1 3/4 cup pastry/cake flour
- 1 cup espresso vanilla infused sugar (made above)
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (solid and refrigerated)
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or other plant based milk alternative)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste/extract
Vegan White Chocolate Glaze
- 4 oz cocoa butter
- 2 Tbsp cashew butter
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/2–1 cup powdered sugar
Making the Espresso Vanilla Bean Sugar
- The first step is to make your infused sugar. Take 1/2 cup of sugar and add it to a blender along with your espresso and vanilla bean paste/seeds. Blend about 30 seconds until well incorporated and a finer powder is formed. Add to a closed container and mix in the additional 1/2 cup sugar. Let sit at least 2 hours or up to 2 months before using.
Making the Scones
- Add your coconut oil to a small bowl and place in the the freezer for around 15 minutes to solidify.
- While the coconut oil is firming, add all your dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl including the flour, infused sugar, baking powder, and salt and mix to combine.
- Take your solidified coconut oil out of the freezer. Using a cheese grater, grate the coconut oil into the scones. Use a fork or pastry cutter to cut the coconut oil into the dry mixture.
- Next, add in 3/4 cup of your infused sugar along with all of your almond milk and vanilla bean paste. Continue to use a fork or pastry cutter to cut the milk into the mix until a shaggy dough is formed.
- Lay a piece of parchment paper onto a baking sheet and roll out the dough onto the parchment paper. Using your hands, flatten the dough into a circle 8 inches in diameter and about 1 inch in height. Add the dough to the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 400F. Once heated, remove the scones from the freezer.
- Cut the dough into 8 even sliced triangles and separate each slice across the parchment paper so that none are touching.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of infused sugar on top of the scones. Add to the oven and bake for 13-15 minutes until edges are firm and slightly browned. Remove and let cool. While the sones are cooling, make the white chocolate glaze.
Making the Vegan White Chocolate Glaze:
- Add cocoa butter and cashew butter to a saucepan and melt over low heat using a whisk to combine. It may take 10-15 minutes depending on the size of your cocoa butter chunks as you want them to melt slowly and not burn.
- Once melted, add in the vanilla bean paste and powdered sugar and whisk in until combined. Pour over the scones and enjoy!
Keywords: espresso scones, vegan vanilla scones, vegan espresso scones, vanilla espresso scones, vegan white chocolate glaze, vegan vanilla scones