The carrot walnut cake is vegan, dairy-free, egg-free, refined sugar-free, & made with whole wheat flour for a healthier twist on your favorite classic carrot cake!
Carrot Walnut Cake:
- 1 cup oat milk (or any plant-based milk)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup grated carrot (about 1–2 carrots)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp oil (I used coconut, but avocado or olive oil also works)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cup cashews (soaked in hot water 1–2 hours)
- 3 Tbsp coconut cream (just the cream, not milk)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350F. To begin, add the oat milk and apple cider vinegar to a mixing bowl and let sit 5-10 minutes until the milk begins to separate & curde. While the vegan buttermilk is forming, grate the carrots and set aside.
- Once the vegan buttermilk is ready, add in the rest of the wet ingredients including the grated carrot, maple syrup, coconut sugar, oil, and vanilla extra. Gently whisk to combine.
- Next, use a flour sifter to add in the dry ingredients including the whole wheat flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Gently mix until a thick cake batter forms, but try not to overmix. Then, gently fold in the chopped walnuts using a spatula or spoon.
- Pour the carrot cake batter into a 9-inch springform pan or greased 9-inch pan and tap the pan to level the cake batter. Then, add the cake to the oven and bake for 30 minutes until lightly browned on the outside and cooked through. Remove the cake and let cool before frosting.
- While the carrot cake is cooling, make the cashew frosting. Add the soaked cashews, coconut cream, maple syrup, coconut oil, lemon juice, and vanilla to a blender. Blend on high speed until the frosting is completely smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. Then, place the cashew frosting into a container into the fridge for at least 15 minutes to firm up before frosting.
- Once the cake has cooled and the frosting has firmed, frost the cake! Top with extra walnuts and carrots as garnish. Enjoy!
- Please note the cashews have to soak in warm water for at least 1 hour for a smooth frosting.
- If you are going to eat it within 1 day, simply wrap in plastic wrap and store it on your counter.
- In case you are waiting a few days to serve the cake, wrap the cake in plastic wrap and store it in the freezer for up to 2 weeks. I do not recommend storing any cake in the fridge as it dries it out.
- Cashew frosting can be stored in a closed container in the fridge for up to 1 week. It actually is best when it’s had at least 1 hour in the fridge, so I usually make it before I bake my carrot cake so it has plenty of time to set in the fridge.
- Leftover frosted cake can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 weeks. Just let it defrost at room temperature before eating it!
Keywords: vegan carrot cake, carrot walnut cake, whole wheat, dairy-free, egg-free, cashew frosting, healthy cake, vegan cake, easter, with nuts