Fluffy vanilla cardamom cupcakes topped with a rose flavored vegan frosting make the best cupcake for any occasion!
Cardamom Vanilla Cupcakes
- ¾ cup nut milk
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste/extract
- 1 ¼ cup pastry/cake flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
Rose Vanilla Frosting
- ½ cup cold vegan butter- cold
- ⅓ cup cold shortening
- ½ tbsp coconut cream (optional, but makes the frosting fluffy)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste/extract
- ¼ tsp rose water
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (or more for sweeter cupcakes)
- 2 tbsp dried rose petals (optional, to top cupcakes)
First, make the cardamom vanilla cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Fill a muffin tin with 10-12 cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the nut milk, sugar, vegetable oil, and vanilla and whisk to combine. Then, use a flour sifter to slowly add in the dry ingredients including the pastry flour, salt, cardamom, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk together until a smooth batter forms.
- Next, fill each cupcake liner ¾ of the way full with batter. Place the tin of cupcakes into the oven and bake for 22-25 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let cool in the baking tray for 5 minutes before removing. Then, carefully remove the cupcakes and let cool completely before frosting.
Then, make the rose frosting:
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make your frosting. Add the vegan butter, shortening, and coconut cream to a mixing bowl and use a mixer to beat until light and fluffy, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Once whipped, add in the rose water and vanilla and whip about 30 more seconds to combine. As a last step, turn down the speed and slowly add the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until a smooth frosting forms.
- Add the frosting to a piping bag and frost your cupcakes. Top with the dried rose petals for decoration. Enjoy!
- If eating the cupcakes in 1-2 days, store in a closed container at room temperature and frost on the day you are ready to eat.
- In case you plan to eat the cupcakes more than 3 days after baking, wrap each cooled cupcake in plastic wrap and store it in a closed container in the freezer. It’s possible to store in a closed container without plastic wrap as well, but make sure the cupcakes aren’t touching or they might freeze and stick together.
- I don’t recommend refrigerating cupcakes or cakes as this dries them out. Let the cupcakes defrost at room temperature for 1-2 hours and then frost as normal on the day you are ready to eat.
- If you have leftover frosted cupcakes, they can also be stored in a closed container in the freezer and defrosted at room temperature before eating!
Keywords: cardamom cupcakes, vanilla cupcakes, vegan cupcakes, rose flavored frosting, vegan frosting, rose water frosting, cardamom desserts, easy