Fun story, but this Tequila Smash recipe was actually passed down to me from my parents! They got this delicious simple tequila drink from a bartender on a random night out and fell in love with this drink. I’m lucky enough they’ve passed the secret onto me to share because I can promise you this Tequila Smash will be your new summer go-to cocktail. This drink tastes like a margarita and mojito collided and created the minty, fresh, and juicy lemon-lime cocktail of my dreams!
How to make the best tequila smash cocktail
This recipe is super simple, but I wanted to call out a few tips and tricks to the perfect easy tequila drink!
Tip 1: Use freshly squeezed lime and lemon juice
First, I made this recipe with mostly lemon juice and a little lime juice. I’d recommend sticking to this ratio or doing just lemon juice as lime can have a much more harsh and intense flavor.
Luckily, the honey syrup does go incredibly well with the citrus in this drink and counteracts the tang of the lemons and limes. Seriously though, use FRESHLY SQUEEZED juice! I cannot stress enough how much this adds to the flavor and overall taste of the drink vs. a pre-made juice or concentrate.
Tip 2: Invest in a citrus reamer
It’s really helpful if you have a Citrus Reamer so that you can get the most juice out of every lemon.
Tip 3: Add mint and honey
Make sure to tear up those mint leaves vs. keeping them whole before adding them to this lemon-lime tequila cocktail. Using crushed mint leaves allows the mint to release it’s minty fresh flavor straight into the drink when you shake it up.
Lastly, make sure your honey syrup is cool before you add it to the cocktail shaker. This way you get a totally refreshing and cold tequila smash!
My friends and I had a blast celebrating Cinco de Mayo and enjoying these cocktails all weekend long, but I can promise you that this drink is worthy of being made for all of your summer BBQ’s and even those lazy Friday nights in your PJ’s.
Enjoy this refreshing and easy Tequila Smash Cocktail and make sure to drink responsibly as this drink packs a real punch too!
Looking for more cocktail recipes? Don’t miss out on these fun drinks!
- 5 fl oz Sauza Gold Tequilla
- 2 fl oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
- .5 fl oz freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 fl oz honey simple syrup (equal parts honey and water dissolved over medium heat- about 3 Tbsp honey and 3 Tbsp water)
- 8-10 mint leaves (torn into small pieces)
- 2 cups crushed ice ((uncrushed also okay if you prefer that!))
- First you will want to make your simple syrup by mixing 3 Tbsp honey and 3 Tbsp water in a small pan. Melt over medium heat until honey dissolves into water (about 1 minute). Make sure to let cool before adding to cocktail shaker.
- In a cocktail shaker add your torn mint leaves, freshly squeezed lime and lemon juice, tequila, and honey simple syrup. Shake until combined about 20 seconds.
- Fill each cocktail glass with about 1 cup crushed ice and pour the cocktail mixture over the ice. Garnish with fresh lime or lemon and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 164 caloriesTotal Fat: .2 gramsgCarbohydrates: 18.4 gramsgSugar: 16 gramsgProtein: .8 gramsg