I’m super excited to be sharing a review for one of my favorite plant-based meal delivery services- Splendid Spoon! If you haven’t heard of Splendid Spoon before, they are a plant-based meal subscription that offers wholesome and easy breakfast and lunch recipes delivered right to your door. They make eating healthy easy for busy people. As an added bonus, you can get $25 off your first Splendid Spoon order (affiliate link)!
Alright so here’s the thing- I absolutely love cooking! However, sometimes even I can get cooking burn-out. While I may not be going to a traditional 9-5 anymore, it’s pretty common for me to spend an entire day in my kitchen creating and testing up recipes to share with you all on SGTO.
Now, I love what I do and I wouldn’t change it for the world. But, I’d be lying if I said I am motivated to make myself a healthy lunch or breakfast every day on top of all the recipe testing I do.
On my busiest weeks, I’ve been ordering Splendid Spoon to help me out. While I haven’t been eating Splendid Spoon every week, about once a month I’ll get a delivery of Splendid Spoon’s breakfast and lunch meals to help me push through the week. Plus, I love how easy it is to freeze the smoothies and meals so I always have a healthy meal waiting in the freezer.
I won’t lie, it is a bit pricey, but it helps me keep my insanity while still eating HEALTHY as a full time entrepreneur and one-woman team behind SGTO!
How does Splendid Spoon Work
If you’re working a demanding job or just need a little help eating healthier, you’re probably interested to hear just how Splendid Spoon works. So, let’s dive right in!
Splendid Spoon has a few different pricing plans:
- Breakfast only ($65 for 5 smoothies or $13 per smoothie)
- Breakfast and Lunch plan ($95 for 5 smoothies AND 5 bowls, or $9.50 a meal)
- Breakfast, Lunch, and reset plan ($135 for 5 smoothies, 5 bowls, and 1 full-day reset, $9 a meal)
Once you’ve selected your plan you can choose to have meals delivered:
- Once a month
- Any combination in-between!
Splendid Spoon currently offers delivery on Wednesdays and Fridays. Plus, all packages are shipped with frozen dry ice and recyclable materials to stay fresh and more environmentally friendly.
Personally, I haven’t tried the reset plan, so I can only speak to the breakfast and lunch options in this review. If you’re looking for the best value, I recommend starting with the breakfast and lunch plan to see what you like best (plus don’t forget to use my affiliate link for $25 off your first Splendid Spoon order)
What makes Splendid Spoon different?
What makes Splendid Spoon different is that every meal comes prepared and ready to eat. That means no cooking involved what-so-ever! There is some reheating time needed for the bowls and soups, but it’s very minimal and every meal can be reheated over the stove or in a microwave in minutes.
Plus, all the meals are vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, and honestly are pretty low in sodium and sugar too!
Pros & Cons
Alright so I know this is why all of you are here. While this is based upon my personal experience, I hope diving into these pros & cons of Splendid Spoon will help you make a better decision if this is the right meal-delivery service for you!
- No meal prep and save TONS of time. For me, this is the #1 bonus for using Splendid Spoon.
- All the products have no-added sugars while still tasting flavorful. This was HUGE for me as I really try to just eat sugar when I’m eating dessert and dislike when it shows up as a sneaky ingredient in pre-packaged foods.
- The soups are actually amazing. Seriously, they are my FAVORITE part of Splendid Spoon. So many unique flavors and combinations I hadn’t thought of that are ACTUALLY FILLING. The #1 complaint I hear from all of you is that plant-based recipes aren’t filling and I can honestly say I found the soups very satisfying.
- Feel amazing with no bloat. I can 100% honestly say I felt amazing after eating these smoothies and soups for lunch all week. I could tell the ingredients were wholesome and I never felt bloated.
- Gluten-free and soy-free. In addition to being plant-based, all the meals are gluten-free and soy-free which makes them suitable for people with intolerances or allergies to those ingredients!
- Freezer Friendly for 1 month. Even if you buy a weeks worth of meals, there’s no need to eat them all in a week because they are freezer friendly! I love having healthy options in the freezer for busier days and weeks so this is a huge bonus for me. To thaw just place in the fridge for 24 hours before eating.
- They have NEW noodle bowls that are absolutely delicious! The kale pesto and sesame noodles are two of my favorite Splendid Spoon options to date.
- The price. Even at the lowest price of $9 a meal, this is still a pretty expensive service if you’re used to making lunch at home. However, I find it is a much more affordable option than eating lunch out in most cities.
- The packaging. While all of the bowls and smoothies are in 100% BPA recycle plastic, it is still plastic. And there is still the recyclables that come with delivery. As someone who really tries to eat sustainably, I do wish there was a more reusable solution to all the packaging.
- Not suitable for families. Splendid Spoon is ideal for me because I live with my partner and we both generally work between 9-5, however I don’t see this as a cost effective plan for larger families.
- Lots of liquid items. Since it is a lot of soups and smoothies, if these aren’t your favorite foods this probably isn’t the right service for you.
- Grain Bowls aren’t my favorite. I’ll be honest with you all here.While I absolutely adore the soups and like a lot of the smoothies, I thought the grain bowls were only okay. While the flavor was good, this is mostly from a texture standpoint where I wanted more crispy toppings and fresh herbs that will lose some of their texture after being frozen. Plus, I found I had to add a little salt to some of them, though this may just be may personal preference. Texture wasn’t a problem with the soups or the noodle bowls, which is why I really recommend them.
Is Splendid Spoon Right for Me?
Overall, I really enjoy Splendid Spoon and look forward to my deliveries! I would never recommend a service I didn’t enjoy myself and I do believe Splendid Spoon is a GREAT way to eat healthy plant-based food when you’re busy, short on time, or just unsure how to start eating plant-based.
Splendid Spoon is likely a good fit for you if you are looking to eat more plant-based meals, are trying to eat healthier, and are not a huge fan of cooking and prepping breakfast and lunch.
Splendid Spoon is not going to be the right fit for you if you are looking to save money (it’s expensive), if you are looking to learn more about cooking plant-based at home (no cooking involved), if you have a large family to feed, or if you avoid all oil (as there is some oil in the bowls and soups).
My favorite Splendid Spoon Meals
Here is a quick breakdown of my favorite meal options that I would personally recommend trying in your very first box (which, don’t forget, you can get $25 off your first Splendid Spoon order using my affiliate link)
- Chocolate Cherry Smoothie (my #1 favorite)
- Raspberry Cacao Smoothie
- Mango Guava Smoothie
- AB & J Smoothie
- Green Matcha Smoothie
- Carrot Ginger Smoothie (this one really surprised me- wasn’t expecting to like it, but kind of tastes like carrot cake!)
I found some of the smoothie flavors I thought I’d like were not my favorite. I also really liked the smoothies with cacao nibs added in as it gave them a fun texture! I will say, if you don’t like the taste/texture of pea protein powder, make sure to select smoothies without that in it- as it is noticeable. If you’re looking for some easy smoothie recipes to make at home, you can also check out my Green Breakfast Smoothie or Piña Colada Smoothie to start eating healthy today!
- Mexican Tomato Chile (my #1 favorite)
- Moroccan Lentil Soup (tied for #1 favorite)
- Kale Pesto Noodles (my favorite noodle dish)
- Green Split Pea Soup
- Sesame Noodles
- Garden Minestrone
- Red Lentil Dal
- Tuscan White Bean Tomato Bowl
Again, the soups & noodle bowls were my favorite and I haven’t tried one I didn’t like. Some are more filling than others and I found that, while each bowl technically has 2 servings, I always ate the whole bowl to feel full. P.S- If you’re looking to get started eating healthier soups at home, check out my Carrot Cauliflower Soup or Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup to make this week!
I hope you all enjoyed reading through my honest Splendid Spoon Review!
What I truly love about Splendid Spoon is the flexibility. You can use it as a weekly subscription to introduce yourself to a plant-based diet or, if you’re an avid cook like me, this is a great way to enjoy quick healthy meals when you’re especially busy. Ordering their meals during my busiest weeks and having a stash in the freezer has helped me stay healthy & sane during times when I need a little extra help in the kitchen. If you’re excited to give Splendid Spoon a try, don’t forget to use my affiliate link to get $25 off your first Splendid Spoon order. Enjoy!