A delicious Stuffed Delicata Squash filled with quinoa, red onion, chopped tomatoes, green pepper, spices, and cheese!
- 2 medium delicata squash (sliced in half, with seeds and stringy flesh removed)
- 1 Tbsp oil (*to coat the delicata, can be replaced with cooking spray)
- 1/2 cup dried quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion (about 1/2 large onion or 1 small onion chopped)
- 1 cup canned chopped tomatoes (8 oz, about 1/2 of a 14 oz can)
- 1 cup chopped green pepper (about 1 small green pepper chopped)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded mexican cheese blend (*optional, ideal is a mix of cheddar and jack cheese)
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- While the oven is preheating, slice the delicata squash in half from top to bottom. Remove the seeds and stringy flesh from the inside. Discard the stringy flesh, but save the seeds for roasting!
- Next, season the inside of each squash with oil or cooking spray, salt, and pepper. Spray a large baking sheet with additional cooking spray. Then, place the squash on the tray with the seasoned size down. Next, add to the oven and cook for 20-30 minutes until the skin is easily pierceable and the inside is soft and tender.
- While the squash is roasting, cook the filling. Chop your onions and peppers and add them to a pot with the dried quinoa, vegetable broth, canned tomatoes, and seasoning.
- Cook the filling over medium heat for 15-20 minutes until all the broth has been soaked up and the quinoa is cooked. Remove the cooked filling from the heat and stir in the cup of shredded cheese.
- Pull out the roasted squash from the oven and flip over so the seasoned inside is now facing up. Fill each squash with 1/4 of the filling. Then, add the squash back to the oven and cook for an additional 10 minutes to crisp everything up.
- Remove from the oven and top with your choice of toppings!
Squash will keep in a closed container in the fridge for up to 5 days and can be reheated in the oven at 200F or in a microwave.
If you add toppings fresh avocado, cilantro, and lime juice are all great choices!
Keywords: roasted delicata squash, stuffed delicata squash, quinoa stuffed delicata squash, vegetarian stuffed squash, delicata squash boats, delicata squash recipes