A quick and easy vegan, gluten-free, and healthy Sweet Dumpling Winter Squash Soup! This soup requires only 8 ingredients to make a creamy and delicious comforting bowl of soup at home.
- 2 medium sweet dumpling squash (*about 3 cups of squash once cooked)
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2–1 tsp chili falkes (more or less depending on preferred spice level)
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- 2–3 cups kale chips
- 4 Tbsp roasted squash seeds
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Begin by taking your squash and cutting it in half horizontally to separate the top and bottom. Remove the seeds and stringy flesh from inside of the squash. Discard the seeds or wash and save them to roast as a topping.
- After the seeds are removed, coat the inside of the squash with a little cooking spray and season with salt and pepper to your liking. Lightly grease a large baking tray and place the squash on the tray with the skin facing up.
- Bake the squash for 35-40 minutes or until the inside is tender, soft, and easily pierced with a fork/knife. The size of your squash will influence the baking time. Remove the squash from the oven and let cool.
- Once the squash has cooled enough to handle, scoop out the flesh and add into a blender. The amount can vary by the size of your squash, but you’ll want to have around 3-3.5 cups of squash. Next, add in your canned coconut milk and blend with the squash until smooth. (If you have an immersion blender, you can keep the soup in the pot and use an immersion blender instead for this step).
- Pour the squash and coconut milk into a large pot and add in your vegetable broth, chili flakes, garlic powder, fresh lemon juice, and as much salt and pepper as you would like. Stir to combine.
- Bring the pot of soup to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes to thicken the soup. Remove from the heat and serve. Top with fresh pomegranate, kale chips, or roasted squash seeds. Enjoy!
*If you’d like to roast the seeds as a topping for the soup, first rinse and dry them. Then, season to your liking with salt, pepper, oil, and spices. Roast at 300F for about 15-20 minutes or until the seeds start to pop. Let cool and then add to the top of your soup or eat as a snack
*I followed Oh She Glow’s recipe for Kale Chips which is linked in this blog post for reference
Keywords: Vegan Soup, Winter Squash Soup, Sweet Dumpling Squash Soup, Best Vegan Squash Soup, Roasted Winter Squash Soup, How to Cook Sweet Dumpling Squash, Sweet Dumpling Squash Recipe